Google Fails, Talks about Flight Paths to Asia

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Apparently Google's "everything remains in beta" philosophy applies to their webhosting as well. How do you accidently route 14% of your traffic through asia?

I've never been affected by a google outtage, but monthly reports on outtages don't give me much confidence that they know what they're doing. Some people pay a big premium for reliability, but I guess while Google remains free we're going to keep getting what we pay for. I feel sorry for companies that pay google for things like Corporate Email and whatnot.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Ahhh.........this might explain why I was getting an error message in gmail about my system administrator blocking the chat function...

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I don't think I was using anything Google related at the time, so I wouldn't have noticed. It is nice to see the humor in the plane analogy though

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
14% for an hour... out 8760 hours in a year... that's not bad.
Also does anyone remember not to put all your eggs in one basket?

vir_cotto

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
I had problems, any site that used google's ad services wouldn't work for me along with gmail and google maps and such. But hey it's all good now:).

G

At least they are mature enough to blame them selves and apologize for it...
Not that they really have to, since most of us use their services all for free ;)

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
If their NOC was working properly they should have noticed the huge spike, or dip depending on the side, and immediately notified whomever made the change. Sounds like a broken system to me.

blaze589

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
It's not a big deal. Google is a large company and is obligated by its notoriety to better itself and to ensure that service downtime isn't equated with the Google branding. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

Status
Not open for further replies.