Google Finally Reveals The Nexus Player, Its Micro Console/Set-Top Box

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Hubley

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
OK. Seriously. No one needs this.

Kobo Arc 7HD is a very nice e-reader with 1920x1200 touchscreen, a quad core 1.7GHz CPU, a micro-HDMI output so you can simultaneously charge, access file storage and stream 1920x1080p to whatever gigantic screen you have. It costs $150+tax in Canada right now 16GB, $170+tax 32GB, and we just got one secondhand fresh in the box for $90+notax. It runs Android 4.2.2 and probably won't run Lollipop but neither will this thing I'm sure.

Please explain to me why anyone would want this stupid new thing when you can have a mobile 1920x1200 e-reader, a 1920x1080p HDMI streaming HTPC, which charges and access files by hooking up to your laptop or desktop or NAS directly with USB. All it is missing is a game controller which I am sure third parties can supply readily.

Oh XBMC and Plex run just fine on Android if you need some layer of nonsense between you and your filesystem to confuse and lose things.

Capt Obvious

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
It's funny how many still attack Ouya when comparing to this device. The hardware specs are practically the same. The Nexus Player even has less ports and less support for external devices. Yes, non-supporters hate Ouya for their "do it yourself" attitude, and are happy they are giving up, but this device is no better in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.