Google Follows Mozilla And Apple In Blocking New WoSign And StartCom Certificates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
With all due respect Mozilla, Google and Apple need to back down on this. There is nothing 'shady' about what these companies are doing in the slightest it is standard operating procedure at a lot of CA's.

Opera is right to stand above the fray and say "While you may dislike what these people are doing you do not have any right to tell them they cannot do this because it does not harm users of browsers or leave them open to attacks!"

Mozilla, Google and Apple are bucking for a lawsuit against them and it is one that I personally believe they will lose and lose big!

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

I'm really confused by this comment. The logic is so backwards that it reads like paid propaganda. WoSign's actions undermined the very purpose of having certificate authorities in the first place. Firefox, Apple, and Google are completely correct to reject them, and in doing so are working in the best interest of their users.

Additionally, no they are not setting themselves up for a lawsuit because there is nothing remotely unlawful about what they are doing.

AND no, they are not telling anyone what they cannot do. They are modifying their own software as they see fit. WoSign is free to continue issuing fraudulent certificates if they wish. Claiming that Firefox/Apple/Google are not allowed to exclude fraudulent CAs from their browsers would be an example of telling a company that they cannot do something.

donotthink

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
It should be noted that Qihoo360, the owner of WoSign and StartCom, is the same Chinese company that purchased parts of Opera. So they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Either they follow suit and go against other parts of the conglomerate, or they don't and it has lost all the integrity the brand has built through decades.

G

DONOTTHINK: Opera used to be a great browser and I used it for years, even on old FLIP PHONES! It was THAT good. Once that era was over and smartphones became the norm, opera was terrible on android and on the desktop there were no major noticeable improvements. So I went back to Firefox!

Status
Not open for further replies.