Google Gives HP Printers Own Email Addresses

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stickywulf

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
It makes sense when you think about it; if your printer has it's own email address, you can have someone send those important documents straight to your printer, and nearly cut your computer out of the equation completely.
Like a fax printer.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
It would be more smart to add a mini-computer to the printer.

With it's own OS, some Embedded Linux.
That can act as a buffer and do lots of things that aren't possible now.
And also the email thinghie.

This way you can do all sorts of things with it including adding a big HDD/SSD to it if you want to.

hardwarekid9756

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
By and large one of the greatest inventions I've ever heard...don't know why it hasn't been done yet! I mean, they've had stuff like this on corporate-end mega-printers for a while, making an elegant solution WITH APPS would be freakin' epic...It'll probably be WebOS-based if it's HP (time to start enacting that IP they just purchased!).

Seriously epic idea. I hate having to turn my computer on just to print off directions or movie tickets or the like. Think about it...a google docs app, a Fandango movie tickets app, an app that interfaces with my really nice HP camera... no need for a computer to serve printing anymore! Seriously...i'm ultra-excited just thinking about it ^.^

hardwarekid9756

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Oh...and one even more epic idea...i didn't even think about it...what if it interfaced with your android/webos phone in a unique and interesting way...a la docking station...to print off text conversations, or pictures from the phone camera...or ran apps and the like. taking printing to a whole new level ^.^

czar1020

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Well would it just send the files to your printer then are you able to view then select what to print at the printer itself? If that were the case then it wouldn't be half bad.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I'd only do this if I can specify a white list of print automatically addresses and I'd like to have a hard drive that stores the documents, both printed and unprinted ones so that I can print others that weren't on the white list.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
surely you have to configure it to auto print from certain email addresses and stuff like that. it isn't going to print EVERYTHING it gets...c'mon.

G

Then you will have to buy their add on junk email filter on your printer, as the telemarketers will start clogging up your print queue and wasting your expensive ink and paper.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
My printer's job is to print. It isn't to accept emails, or get on the web, or visit e-stores, or run apps, or any junk like that.

JUST PRINT.

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
I have a 6 year-old Savin that has the same capability. And my DLink DP-301U print server at home can add this capability to any USB printer. Yawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.