Google Home Helps Attackers Find Your Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
>>The Google Home smart speaker was previously found to secretly record users' conversations when Google launched the product last fall. The company fixed that flaw soon after it was discovered.
Flaw? I am sure this was intended behavior as well, at least, until it was discovered. Now Google just needs to R&D how to make this non-discoverable.

maetrixss

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
@REDGARL to employ the logic I'm seeing more and more these days to excuse horrible things-"well, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about."

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
As far as I can tell, the would-be attacker needs to have access to the local network where the google devices are operating in order to exploit this. At which point I'd say them being able to tell where your google home device is located may not be your biggest concern. Also, if they are connected to your LAN, they are probably in or near your house to begin with, at which point being able to determine that the google devices are in your house (where they'd be assumed to be 99.9% of the time) doesn't seem like particularly valuable or sensitive information.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this honestly doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.