Google Introduces JavaScript Alternative Called DART

Status
Not open for further replies.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]techseven[/nom]Do we need another scripting language? I wonder....[/citation]
If they can make it more secure, fast and easy to program, then yes. Anything that advances these attributes I'm for.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Damn, another programming language... it's gotta be hard to keep up with all of them, I guess. Then again, some people say that once you grasp the general concept of programming, all you need to do to learn the new language is remember the syntax.

G

Is this a new country Called Google then?
is so hungry....I don't like that at least by now.Graphics

G

[citation][nom]bit0[/nom]Is this a new country Called Google then?is so hungry....I don't like that at least by now.Graphics[/citation]

The word "Graphics is not my fault. Can't edit..."

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
yes we need another programming language... javascript sucks balls its the worst language ever. lets just hope this or another language backed by a VM gains some traction.

bgaimur

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Programming languages come out of necessity, not simply a dream of a new way of doing things. I wish something would de-Rail (pun intended) PHP.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
It would be nice to have an object oriented programming language for the web, but I'd rather have it built into browsers than a plugin like Java. If it was going to be a plugin like Java, why not just use Java? (granted I haven't used Java with web pages so I don't know what it has to interface with the DOM)

kaisellgren

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I would have wanted to see more innovation. It's boring and dull.

For example, where's the great syntax of Go that allows you to do "foo := 5" where the colon : means that it will set the type based on the initial value.

Where's the support for deconstructors? They added classes, but not Traits? Why the language requires all those braces, parenthesis, etc?

How about an ability to slice strings like "foo bar"[3,5] ? What about generators and yielding? Jesus, don't take away those awesome ECMAScript RegEx literals!

Complains aside, I do like the "_" private prefixes and the fact that you can have a "num type" that's basically two types together.

If it performs fast and has a lower "startup", it does look interesting, but I wish they did more innovation.

[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]If they can make it more secure, fast and easy to program, then yes. Anything that advances these attributes I'm for.[/citation]

yes so as long as it is easy so the lazy and extremely amateur programmers will use it then why not

drchemist

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Hmmmm . . . Google makes Chrome and also Chrome books that only use web browsers without any real apps and they say, "Hey, here is another version of javascript that we developed. It's okay it is better, faster, and lets you make web based apps. It will move the internet to a better direction. It has nothing to do with pushing our Chrome OS and keeping our browser ahead of the game by controlling the languages development."

I guess I just must be watching too much Pinky and the Brain. Google is so great they should make tons of apps so that I can use them for free. It's okay you can send adverts my emails, profile and web search info. I love you so much because you give me so much free stuff and know what is best for me. Google "The Silent Sheep Herder".

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]bgaimur[/nom]Programming languages come out of necessity, not simply a dream of a new way of doing things. I wish something would de-Rail (pun intended) PHP.[/citation]

You can't deRail PHP because it's so easy, quick, dirty and so widespread. It's a programming language for people who hate programming and I love it.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
As someone that has to program in Javascript at least a few times a week, I'd LOVE to see it be replaced by a more modern language. There are some great libraries and methodologies that make JS more palatable (JQuery, etc), but at its core its still a terrible language to program in.

G

actually why do i feel this has more to do with Android then chrome.... app developers have been bitching about the java thing for a while now, i foresee a overhaul of the android app development scene in the not too distant future

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
The people I know that do Web Development for a living use JQuery, because it handles Javascript support across more platforms. I'm curious to see if this catches on.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]techseven[/nom]Do we need another scripting language? I wonder....[/citation]

Sure as long as I can disable this one too.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]javaskull[/nom]Javascript SUCKS so yes.[/citation]
People who don't have a grasp of the power of JavaScript and who are poor programmers sucks. Poor programmers are the ones that make JavaScript suck.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i hope it's not one of those free to use, free to develop now thing that eventually will turn to a pay a little fee to use and develop or else thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.