Google Is Building A New Operating System From Scratch: 'Fuschia'

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I can see that they're taking inspiration from Marty McFly and Doc Emmett Brown because they're going... BLACK TO THE FUCHSIA!!!

tumblr_inline_mswfr5i2hQ1qz4rgp.png

johnnycanadian

Distinguished
May 6, 2012
... And say 'goodbye' to BlackBerry. QNX might be the OS of choice for RT systems right now but Chen won't be able to compete with an end-to-end offering from the likes of Google.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Hoping they take security more seriously this go around, and maybe multi-tasking. Google concepts don't have a great track record for working out once they're in the hands of real people, and Google is always too busy moving on to the next project, so they never give currently available projects and TLC and properly flesh them out.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's a good idea to get rid of so much legacy and bloat. This also gives them full control over the architecture.

I don't buy the idea that it has anything to do with Java. You can already use other languages, on Android.

I also think it's a hard sell for them to get device makers to cede full control over the OS on their devices. That might push a lot of device makers over the edge. Google could pursue a more bifurcated update model, where the kernel and core libraries are updated directly from Google, while device makers control only their custom packages. I don't really know what's would prevent them from doing that with Android, aside from possibly the fact that the Android license would prevent them from forcing device makers to comply.

Update: it's an interesting point, about the license. What is the license on Magenta? I guess it can't be on Github, if it's not some form of Open Source. I think any license Github allows doesn't prevent one from forking their own version, as people now do with Android.

Windows is bad enough now, but I would not dream of running an operating system from Google, which is all about ad revenue and data mining, on a PC which has any personal data of any kind on it.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Okay, but I don't really see what that has to do with the new kernel. I mean, Chrome OS is already PC-oriented, and they could add however much spy-ware they want, on top of any kernel they use.

Sakata

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
Google takes privacy seriously, just not even remotely as serious as they do money and other social or political benefits. Frankly they are the biggest data broker in existence and we just give it to them.

To quote a great movie : " The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. "

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Here is hopping Fuchsia is the beginning of the end of Android and that we will be able to get OS updates directly from Google instead of hoping the device manufacture and carrier decide to push the update. Timely updates are critical especially since we are entering the IoT era(which will be the death of us all, regardless).

I also hope it means that if Fuchsia supports feature X manufactures can't simply disable it because they can. "I'm talking about you Samsung and your removal of the Adaptable Storage"

Status
Not open for further replies.