Google is Indecisive, Says Microsoft CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I use more than one OS. Windows for gaming and work. Linux for everything else that Windows can't do or won't do. Linux has come to the rescue so many times I just can't do without it.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
LOL Companies should only have one OS, and Microsoft has XP, Vista, and now Windows 7, all of them with 3 or more SKU's. He is not one to talk, he's most likely scared of how much they stand to use in the Netbook market if Chrome is more practical and better performing than Windows, which I find to be QUITE likely.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]freak77power[/nom]And what Linux can do and Windows can't. I can give list of 100s things Linux can't do that i can do under Windows.[/citation]
Agreed. I can think of alot more things Windows can do that Linux can't vs. the other way around.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]Agreed. I can think of alot more things Windows can do that Linux can't vs. the other way around.[/citation]
Yes, you actually have to know how to use an OS to be able to "do things" with it.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]Yes, you actually have to know how to use an OS to be able to "do things" with it.[/citation]

Actually, it's quite the opposite. You shouldn't have to know how to use an OS, you should know how to use the software you need. I shouldn't need to "know" Windows to do Photoshop, I should know how to do photo editing. I shouldn't need to "know" OSX to do Final Cut, I should know how to do video editing. A good OS lets you do the things you really need to do without you thinking about the OS.

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I don't know how some of you people managed to work out a windows vs linux debate from this article talking about Chrome OS.

Anyway, Ballmer is awesome at putting his foot in his mouth. Google is not allowed to have more than one OS all because they don't share a common name like "Windows"? That's ridiculous. Microsoft has 5 versions of Vista: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise and Ultimate. What does he have to say about that? Haha, this guy cracks me up.

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Actually, it's quite the opposite. You shouldn't have to know how to use an OS, you should know how to use the software you need. I shouldn't need to "know" Windows to do Photoshop, I should know how to do photo editing. I shouldn't need to "know" OSX to do Final Cut, I should know how to do video editing. A good OS lets you do the things you really need to do without you thinking about the OS.[/citation]

Even though you're totally off-topic, I agree with you. A good OS is intuitive. But also stable. Linux totally loses in the intuitive arena, but wins in the stable arena. Windows wins in the hardware and driver support arena.

For example, say I want to setup a static IP in ubuntu. You can't do it with the default network manager. You have to uninstall it and install another. WTF? That's ridiculous.

Windows: All you have to say is BSoD.

Mac OS: Worst error-reporting OS I've ever seen.

Conclusion: All operating systems leave something to be desired.

Now back on topic...

Ballmer is a loon.

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Ballmer is doign a great job of running Microsoft into the ground. He is a moron who speaks out of his ass instead of forming logical thoughts then speaking.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Microsoft has more than their 5 versions of Vista. They're also competing against their past operating systems like XP. When you don't bring much to the table in terms of innovation these days its more about selling you the same crap with some slight polish on it. Who knows if Google will build a great new OS. The fact of the matter is Microsoft has been eroding their market share off to Apple for the past few years now, and the transfer over to it seems to be increasing.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
[citation][nom]crom[/nom]Microsoft has more than their 5 versions of Vista. They're also competing against their past operating systems like XP. When you don't bring much to the table in terms of innovation these days its more about selling you the same crap with some slight polish on it. Who knows if Google will build a great new OS. The fact of the matter is Microsoft has been eroding their market share off to Apple for the past few years now, and the transfer over to it seems to be increasing.[/citation]
Although Apple is gaining market share, you also have to consider people install windows on their Mac as well. Microsoft's loss of market share is not as extreme as you make it seem. Plus, in this economy you have to consider that many people will buy lower cost PCs. Overall, I predict Apple will be losing market share in the future not gaining, especially with the October release of Windows 7.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
GNU Linux can do a helluva lot more than any Windows distro.

"but the last time I checked, you don't need two client operating systems. It's good to have one."
No wonder he spazzes out so often. The animal's got rabbis. I can see the fall of MS now...

Anyone who says Windows can do more than GNU linux or Windows looks better than linux is damn crazy and don't deserve to live. How can you justify that? Maybe if you don't count all the repositories that gnu linux offers, Windows looks and can do more than linux, but once you count in the repositories, the people who say Windows>Linux are a bunch of people that deserve to die but don't deserve the bullets. With gnu and open bsd, you can virtually do EVERYTHING with linux. Make your own linux and it performs exactly as you programmed it to do, anything you program it to do.

On the otherhand, Windows won't let you modify the code (legally).

Justify your stance that Windows can do more than the al mighty gnu Linux, you animals!

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
All the versions of Windows Vista share the same kernel, correct? All the versions of Windows 7 share the same kernel, correct? How much did MS change the kernel between Vista and Win7? I don't know the answer to this. All this lead me to believe that Vista is one OS and Windows 7 is one OS, and maybe Win7 is just Vista2 (or 1.5). So assuming there hasn't been a drastic change in the kernels, Win7 and Vista are actually one OS.

Think of it as movie with a DVD theatrical release, BR release, a directors cut, and a big box set with all the extras; the underlying story is the same in all versions.

Do we think that Chrome OS and Android will share the same kernel. If they do, then what Google has is one OS. If not, two...

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]stradric[/nom]I don't know how some of you people managed to work out a windows vs linux debate from this article talking about Chrome OS.Anyway, Ballmer is awesome at putting his foot in his mouth. Google is not allowed to have more than one OS all because they don't share a common name like "Windows"? That's ridiculous. Microsoft has 5 versions of Vista: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise and Ultimate. What does he have to say about that? Haha, this guy cracks me up.[/citation]
Chrome OS is suppose to run linux kernel so the debates seems valid ;) bring on th thugs of war!

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
GNU Linux can do a helluva lot more than any Windows distro.

"but the last time I checked, you don't need two client operating systems. It's good to have one."
No wonder he spazzes out so often. The animal's got rabbis. I can see the fall of MS now...

Anyone who says Windows can do more than GNU linux or Windows looks better than linux is damn crazy and don't deserve to live. How can you justify that? Maybe if you don't count all the repositories that gnu linux offers, Windows looks and can do more than linux, but once you count in the repositories, the people who say Windows>Linux are a bunch of people that deserve to die but don't deserve the bullets. With gnu and open bsd, you can virtually do EVERYTHING with linux. Make your own linux and it performs exactly as you programmed it to do, anything you program it to do.

On the otherhand, Windows won't let you modify the code (legally).

Justify your stance that Windows can do more than the al mighty gnu Linux, you animals!

Windows surpasses linux in the user friendly department, 95% of the people that use computers are morons, they don't know and are not willing to learn to use an os like linux, it is so much easier for them to just install itunes to hook up their ipod and install software for their all in one HP and new laser mouse.

Let say some of them learn a thing or two about computer hardware and want to install a new graphics card in their computer.

Linus is awesome if you are well learned in the OS but for the 95% of the ignorant computer users out there its a piece.

G

Linux can do far more than Windows... The massively hot-key-able 3d compiz type desktop effects, the multiple desktops/taskbars/shelves and the vast number of gadgets/widgets/plasmoids that are available, and the many add-ons and various applications through the package managers... The advanced(in general) PC user can do far, far more with Linux than Windoze, after the initial learning period. The more basic user can use it just as well as Windows.

Windows is quite stable, but Linux is more so, BSODs are entirely unnecessary 99% of the time, I'm not sure if Linux even has a BSOD or hard-reboot functionality built in, because I've never seen it. Driver support for Linux is not bad, they can hack out an unsupported driver for Linux faster than the hardware vendors can write and validate an official driver for Vista.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Actually, it's quite the opposite. You shouldn't have to know how to use an OS, you should know how to use the software you need. I shouldn't need to "know" Windows to do Photoshop, I should know how to do photo editing. I shouldn't need to "know" OSX to do Final Cut, I should know how to do video editing. A good OS lets you do the things you really need to do without you thinking about the OS.[/citation]

Should be could be... yes
But saying you can do more with one OS then another simply because you don't know how to use an OS is incorrect. If you want intuitive then you should be using OSx anyways, if you want intuitive with some more customizations the use windows.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]freak77power[/nom]And what Linux can do and Windows can't. I can give list of 100s things Linux can't do that i can do under Windows.[/citation]

Windows can't work quickly.

Arch or Gentoo is wonderfully fast.... blazing compared to Windows. Rhythmbox also beats the living crap out of Windows Media Player- though you can always replace that with WinAmp- which is about as good as Rhythmbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.