Google is Pushing to Kill Passwords

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]de5_Roy[/nom]looks like yet another ploy to harvest data on people. in reality, google wants to build a fingerprint database on all it's users in the name of 'better authentication measures'.next, they will try to trick people into using their dna samples saying fingerprint identification and/or facial recognition is inadequate. by then, google will own you.'be no evil', no - it's more like 'be more and more evil'.[/citation]

I wonder if the Government will have a Master key to access all the data as well.

thats why I never put sensitive private info on the internet no matter what.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
So if a thief wants your pr0n collection, he just has to steal your laptop and cut off your nuts

[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]implant an RFID tag in your scrotum which locks your device when you stop masturbating[/citation]

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]sna[/nom]I wonder if the Government will have a Master key to access all the data as well.thats why I never put sensitive private info on the internet no matter what.[/citation]
Tin foil hat alert...

Scott_D_Bowen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Google should concentrate more on making software that leverages stuff people already own, better and better if need be!
- Everyone, almost, has a mobile phone now (as bad as that is, but hey it's their choice not mine).

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I think it would be better to do a eye scan via a webcam that has HD. I am against full facial recognition as a password because then folk you don't like can find you. I am for range of passwords types.
Say. One can be ear shape scan or nose shape scan. You hold the webcam near you nose and it scans nostrils. Maybe a combination of these things. It could a finger length scan and vein scan on your neck or the other unique parts of your body. What ever you choose is part of the secret.

:)

billafu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]Yeah, not convinced.Still think the biometric scan idea is the best.Devices will have built in sensors, automatically detecting unique biometric signatures and automatically unlocking.Either that or implant an RFID tag in your scrotum which locks your device when you stop masturbating[/citation]

Granted, of course, that one has a scrotum.

eadthem

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
[citation][nom]lebois kid[/nom]Why don't they just embed the YubiKey in your wrist, kinda liking chipping a dog...that way, in addition to application authentication via NFC, they can keep track of our whereabouts via turnstyles and building entryways.[/citation]
Except anyone with a arduino can read and duplicate RFID chips, Come within 1 foot of someone today? perhaps the elevator?. Thats all it takes to read most RFID cards/chips.

If there is not extensive 2 way communication, it cant be made secure.

flyrasin

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
'Google is proposing various ways to avoid the need for long and numerous passwords.'
Read as 'Google is trying in various ways to avoid their users need for more browsers "other" than Chrome (and tools such as Lastpass).'
There's no software to download on the computer side – except Chrome?

James Bond shit, huh?
How about people start using their brain. We are trying to make the world a dummer place? Maybe some day people will forget to close their home door.

Really, any 80+ IQ human can develop a good system to remmber their passwords if they just sit down and think for it about 5 minutes. People just dont want to do the work, and then are surprised that bad things happen to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.