Google Makes its Search (Bar) Even Bigger

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Is there a way to change it back? It's way too freaking big. I'm sure my grandparents would be pleased but as of right now I have google zoomed out on firefox so it is not so freaking obnoxious. Zooming out every time will be a huge pain in the ass so if I can't change it I'll just start using Bing more often.[/citation]

how about you use a resolution larger than 1024x768? are you on a 12" monitor or something?

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]You should look at http://live.letmegooglethatforyou.com/ then. There are some really, REALLY stupid things being Googled through that website. For example:"how to make jamaican beef patties""why am I so fat and ugly?""what is the speed of dark?"On topic, it looks exactly the same for me. Perhaps the Australian mirror has not yet been updated, but I would have thought that Google would have updated it globally all at once.[/citation]

WOW
the one that came up when i went to the site was
"Where a re pictures of boys tied up in boxes"
hahahahaha

Wow... here I thought I accidentally enlarged my text size on the web. The change makes sense; I liked the old smaller bar better though. There should be a n option to change it back.

Hanin33: It looks rather bold on 20" monitors at 1280x1024 & 1600x1200 also. Also if they run 1024x768 it is their right. I know people who run that on a 20" to so that they can read normal sized text.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]how about you use a resolution larger than 1024x768? are you on a 12" monitor or something?[/citation]

I'm on a 15" laptop at 1440x900. It's freaking huge.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
i suppose they should offer an option to tweak the settings to fit the needs. *shrugs*

or maybe there should be a flag in HTML that gives resolution info to the server to give them a page that fits their settings. i know i am tired of all the white space on my screen from viewing webpages coded for resolutions smaller than 1024x768...

precariousgray

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
The first thing to pop into my mind when loading Google for the first time today was, "what the fuck?"

Now I know what they fucked. Much as with my face in the bathroom mirror each morning, I've been using Google for years and have seemingly grown accustomed to seeing certain page elements a particular size in proportion to one another. I don't think I'd very much enjoy waking up with a nose twice the size, but then, I suppose some people are oblivious to such things.

Just looks riduclous.

jangocat

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I don't know, old one it looked plenty big enough to me on my 22'' at 1900x1200. It must look freakin huge on a 15'' laptop. The only thing I don't like about it is the huge font will mean less pulldown results to choose from in the search window on a small screen.

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Thankfully the iGoogle bar hasn't been sized up.

Also, I liked it alot better when it was called 'Google Home,' and didn't sound like an Apple rip off

G

I noticed this last night and I thought I was high but that wasn't the problem... I can't see shit on my 10,1" netbook...

randomizer

Champion
The text on the buttons isn't very smooth on the new design. Oh well, lucky I'm still using the firefox Google page which is exactly the same. Although I normally use the search bar built into the browser anyway.

G

I absolutely hate the new Google search bar. My solution is going to be to use the in-browser search field from now, which I never used to do because I didn't want Google to have to kick money to the maker of my browser.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]MacClearly[/nom]Google Canada has not changed! Guess Google hates all Canadians.[/citation]
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Google also hates the Irish.[/citation]
That's because they think all Canadians and Irish are too drunk to care.
They're mostly right.

Status
Not open for further replies.