Google Maps Takes Indoor Mapping Project to the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep up the good work there. Not everyone uses it, but I think that Making Maps as good as it can reasonably be is a job worth doing. It most certainly helps me get where I'm going when I don't know the directions myself.

G

Awesome for criminals and terrorists.

Want to rob a store in a mall? Easy! We know exactly where it is and we know where all of the exits are!

Want to kill a bunch of people in the subway? Easy! You've now got a map of the entire station on your mobile phone!

Need to rob that Monet from the local art gallery? No problem!

I may be a little sarcastic, but I think you get my point.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]CoopCoop[/nom]Awesome for criminals and terrorists.[/citation]Only lazy ones who don't check their targets out personally.

I was going to suggest making a tool that can convert indoor map data into a template map for FPS games.

[citation][nom]CoopCoop[/nom]Awesome for criminals and terrorists.Want to rob a store in a mall? Easy! We know exactly where it is and we know where all of the exits are!Want to kill a bunch of people in the subway? Easy! You've now got a map of the entire station on your mobile phone!Need to rob that Monet from the local art gallery? No problem!I may be a little sarcastic, but I think you get my point.[/citation]

Any criminal that needs Maps to do this is probably not intelligent enough to succeed anyway...

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
There should be a map for BBC's HQ. I heard that it's one of the most difficult buildings to navigate if you're unfamiliar with the place.

[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Only lazy ones who don't check their targets out personally.I was going to suggest making a tool that can convert indoor map data into a template map for FPS games.[/citation]

Converting RL maps to IG maps. Heh, heck yeah!

Anyone interested in playing L4D2 or BF3 on a Disneyland map?

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Apple will have a tought time catching up to Google on Map tech

I hope Walmart embraces this feature. Walmarts are huge now and this would expedite my visits.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]Apple will have a tought time catching up to Google on Map techI hope Walmart embraces this feature. Walmarts are huge now and this would expedite my visits.[/citation]

The only problem is that the maps would need to be updated every month or so. Some of the stores change their layouts very frequently just to force customers to walk around longer, thus increasing the chance of them buying extra stuff they didn't plan on beforehand.

[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]Apple will have a tought time catching up to Google on Map techI hope Walmart embraces this feature. Walmarts are huge now and this would expedite my visits.[/citation]

]Like A Bad Day said, I don't think that stores would be an easy thing to keep up with for this.

[citation][nom]CoopCoop[/nom]Awesome for criminals and terrorists.Want to rob a store in a mall? Easy! We know exactly where it is and we know where all of the exits are!Want to kill a bunch of people in the subway? Easy! You've now got a map of the entire station on your mobile phone!Need to rob that Monet from the local art gallery? No problem!I may be a little sarcastic, but I think you get my point.[/citation]
No, I don't get your point; you're saying that someone that plans to rob a store in a mall or steal a painting from a museum will rely on this to plan it? I can only pity the fool that tries that.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]No, I don't get your point; you're saying that someone that plans to rob a store in a mall or steal a painting from a museum will rely on this to plan it? I can only pity the fool that tries that.[/citation]

I recall last year, a Central American military force used Google Maps. They thought a certain town was on their country's territory, so they took down the other country's flag or something. What the didn't know was that Google Maps occasionally has bugs, and they were using a slightly inaccurate map.

The UN ended up getting involved.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Not that you can't get most of that info online already...

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I recall last year, a Central American military force used Google Maps. They thought a certain town was on their country's territory, so they took down the other country's flag or something. What the didn't know was that Google Maps occasionally has bugs, and they were using a slightly inaccurate map.The UN ended up getting involved.[/citation]

Brings back the previous argument. People whom use Maps wrongly are probably not intelligent enough to know what they're doing. People messing with some town just because an online map says that the town is on this side of their border are idiots. If anything, the most that they should have done is report it to their superiors so that they could look into the matter instead of overreacting so foolishly.

Status
Not open for further replies.