Google Nexus 10 Review: Is 2560x1600 High-Definition Enough?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]TheMadFapper[/nom]Not to be a jerk here but I'm still waiting for an answer as to why the iPad 4th gen with the A6X processor wasn't included. I want to see those numbers!!! It's like you're comparing a 2013 Lamborghini to a 2010 Ferrari, when a 2013 Ferrari does indeed exist, and is faster than its 2010 predecessor.[/citation]
We recently purchased a fourth-gen iPad and will be posting numbers with that soon!

oxiide

Distinguished
I agree with what the consensus seems to be on the pictures. I preferred the ones on the top almost all the way down the page for their more dramatic contrast and brightness. The ones that ended up being from the iPad look very dark to me. That said, I don't know if that testing methology is really showing me an accurate comparison on my monitor.

I'm not disappointed in the Nexus 10 at all from what I've seen and heard. I expect certain compromises to be made when a competitor offers a comparable product for 80% of the cost. Even so, standardized ports and the relatively open Android platform are worth something to me all on their own.

shadamus

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
When can I get a 2560x1600 on a reasonably priced 15.6" Windows laptop? I'm running a 1920x1080 15.6" now (portable dev workstation), and I'm jealous that these 10" tablets have more pixel real-estate. Dear Santa...

[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]Lol? Next you're going to tell me 70" HDTVs should be cheaper than 32" since the pixels are farther apart?Larger panels = more expensive.[/citation]

The problem with that statement is that I can often get a 27" or 32" 1080p monitor (I'm talking monitor, not TV since this discussion was about monitors, not TVs) for around $200to $300 (maybe not a perfect one, but at least decent), yet getting a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 display at those same sizes is like twice as expensive, if not more. Why is it so much more expensive to get such a resolution on such a monitor compared to a 1080p resolution on such a monitor if even tablets have far slimmer differences in cost on the displays?

I think that warezme's point was that monitors have far too much of a price difference between mainstream and high end resolutions compared to tablets and phones which have much smaller screens, meaning that they should be more difficult to produce. IE why is it that there is a much smaller price difference between a 1080p tablet and a similar 1440p tablet (2560x1440) or such resolution than the difference between two such monitors when common sense dictates that it should be the other way around, not that a small high resolution display should be cheaper than a much larger but lower resolution display.

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Something about yields. They get far more 1080p monitors out of the master than they would 1200p. So the 1080p's are almost free.[/citation]

That, I haven't heard/read before. Are you sure that displays work that way with yields? I'm no expert about them, but I didn't think that they work like that. It was my understanding that high-resolution monitors weren't made mainstream simply because the display companies and such simply chose to stagnate since there wasn't huge demand for high-resolution displays and it was cheaper to keep on with the older resolutions. I also wonder if like the decreasing interest in desktop systems for the average person had something to do with it.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
1080p monitors are cheap because the manufacturing for them is already established, en masse. they are able to produce vast amounts of 1080p monitors from plants which are already paid for. thus, 1080p is cheap.

higher resolution monitors arent nearly as established in manufacturing, therefor you are paying more to help recoup the costs of the newer manufacturing plants.

mobile technology is hot right now and is therefor being invested into more heavily.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]acku[/nom]But there are several caveats with that, the biggest being the gamut of your monitor. Say for example you had a monitor with a gamut of 40% adobe rgb1998. You would see a very small difference with two pictures. If you looked at the supplied pictures, it simply wouldn't help much. It's not the real comparison. The real comparison would be the actual live scene, which we can't supply to everyone.The reason is because of color management. You're system is clipping out of gamut colors (using relative colorimetric or perceptual rendering intent.) The method that we chose preserves a proportionate difference between the two gamuts because the colors are being clipped out the same for a given computer system. While this means not everyone is going to view the same thing, it the best way we could produce a requested subjective analysis in a reproducible format.[/citation]
I realise that my monitor won't display things perfectly, but it will do the same thing to all of them. I can clearly see a difference between the two tablets, but I have no idea which is more accurate. I'd be guessing that the iPad has better reds while the Nexus 10 has better blues, but it would be exactly that – a guess.

[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]"We aren't labeling these pictures so that you evaluate them without the previous page's results in mind. Which tablet looks the best to you? Scroll to the bottom of the page if you want to know which is which."Too bad the aspect ratio gives it off right off the bat anyways[/citation]
Exactly what I thought.

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Something about yields. They get far more 1080p monitors out of the master than they would 1200p. So the 1080p's are almost free.[/citation]
The yields will be only slightly different.

alexthager

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Undoubtedly, the Google Nexus 10 is very powerful, and has a lot to offer. But it's February, and it's being compared to a 3rd-gen iPad. I want to see how this thing really stacks up. I would have much preferred if this was compared to the current generation iPad.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
no one cares about android tablets..

we have the win 8 RT , which comes with Office free .. and auto updates automatically

who cares to buy any android tablet ?

I am waiting for 7-8 inch win RT as well...

lodovik

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
So often, the arguments for the N10 is this $100 less that he iPad. But put it the other way and it doesn't look so good:

For $100 more than the N10, you get the iPad4 that has an only slightly lower res, better screen form factor for anything that you need to read, a far more faster GPU, better battery life and a LOT more apps optimized for tablets and still a lot more apps optimized for Retina display tablets.

Suddenly, the Apple product starts to look as a better value, don't you think?

sicmofo

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
I normally agree with the comments here on toms but this time I feel the Google wank has gone too far.
Many users who've owned this device complain about bad backlight bleed, random reboots, and even dust inside the screen. Basically evidence of a very poor manufacturing process. And believe me when I say that these cases occur a lot more often than theyre supposed to. It's not just a small percentage. And before you tell me that back light bleed occurs on all tablets, I own a note 10.1 and it has none. I understand your desire to purchase this if the concept of a pure android experience on a tablet is enticing to you. I personally dislike TouchWiz on Samsung devices but I'll have to make an exception when it comes to tablet configurations. The ability to open multiple apps in multiple windows (ala desktop) is a lot more useful that one would think.

On paper,its a very attractive device, but in reality the Nexus 10 is just average.

G

I would just like to comment on the battery charge time. Saying lower is better may be better for the user, but not better for the battery. Fast charge times on batteries degrade the performance faster than a slow charge. Tests have shown that charging devices through the USB port is much better for battery life (long term) than a fast charge from a power point. Knowing that this has a good slow charge makes me think the battery will last longer than others.

G

Unfortunately this article really is a low point for TomsHardware, the iPad 3 is very soon going to be a year old, the iPad 4 is already a few months old yet it receives no mention, it can't be down to timeframes as the iPad mini is in the review (however lets face it the iPad mini is an iPad 2 in SoC at least so they may have included the iPad mini allegedly but in actual fact benchmarked the iPad 2). There needs to be a true comparison of the latest hardware otherwise this is false advertising, the iPad 4 uses an A6x processor clocked at 1.4Ghz custom built by Apple with Quad Core graphics, a huge advancement on the iPad 3rd Generation (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A6X) This article needs updating quickly.

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
To be blunt, the iPad in those pictures looks like what you get when you stick an image in photoshop and boost the saturation and vibrance by 20%. And while my u2412m isn't a wide gamut display, it's neither a garbage TN panel nor uncalibrated. You guys might need to invest in some new test images, if the iPad's display really is technically better, because that's certainly not what's shown in those pictures.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I have been looking to replace my only apple product.... the new ipad with an android tablet because I want to get rid of the ipad and the only thing that would stop me from buying this is WTF, where is the 65gb and 128gb versions...... being that that this is a nexus device, I would expect a flagship version with 256gb of storage today, not in 5 years.

moogleii

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
[citation][nom]acku[/nom]Finally, I don't know why there's this perception that we're being harsh on Google. To the contrary, we gave the Nexus 7 an Editor's Choice award. It was the first time we that award to a tablet - ANY tablet. We've seen tons of tablets, but that was the first one that really impressed us.[/citation]

Because, your review wasn't overwhelmingly positive, and that angers some people. Your review was very fair. The reactions here are amusing, if not depressing.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]There was an article a while ago that showcased Tom's Hardware writers and various devices they use. Almost all of them had an iPad or a Macbook or both.

Just sayin'...[/citation]

Never mind the positive reviews of Apple products from other reputable sites like Anandtech, Tom's staff uses Apple products not because they might be quality products, but because you guys are all biased "sheeple". Clearly.

[citation][nom]Neon Neophyte[/nom]i disagree completely about the screen analysis. it is most obvious on the picture of the blue flower. with the nexus 10 i can see all the detail in the pedals, the ipad is over saturated and has lost its detail.[/citation]

If you adjust the colors of almost any photo in photoshop and wash it out, yes, extra detail will become apparent. Go ahead and try it. That doesn't mean you want to wash out the photo. It's a balance.

To bit_user, Tom's has provided actual data, *data*, showing that the display gamut is much narrower than other competitors, but of course it should still be rated as the best or equal to a display with a wider gamut.

And of course comments asking why there was no comparison against the iPad 4 should be downvoted. Christ.

I wouldn't bother devoting time defending your article. I've seen some of the most data driven reviews on Anandtech just get endlessly bombarded with angry commenters. The cycle is endless. I'm not even sure why I'm bothering. Sheeple calling other people sheeple can't be reasoned with.

Or just sell out and write an article where the nexus 10 blew your minds and cured cancer. That would be just as amusing to observe.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]moogleii[/nom]Because, your review wasn't overwhelmingly positive, and that angers some people. Your review was very fair. The reactions here are amusing, if not depressing. Never mind the positive reviews of Apple products from other reputable sites like Anandtech, Tom's staff uses Apple products not because they might be quality products, but because you guys are all biased "sheeple". Sheeple calling other people sheeple can't be reasoned with. Or just sell out and write an article where the nexus 10 blew your minds and cured cancer. [/citation]

Dude, you hit it on the nose, lol - People on here want this to become the FOX News or Semi Accurate of the Tech world...

Lame review because it needs to be compared to the iPad 4, it's proper competitor.

1. Either Tom's used the iPad 4 and was afraid to post the results because the iPad 4 did much better on benchmarks and they would upset it's Android fan base, or...

2. Tom's is no longer able to do proper reviews. Please see Anandtech and Arstechnica for reference. I have come her for years (before Apple and Google were on kings) and your inability to provide current news (far too many stories that are posted on non tech sites days before Tom's has it) and horrible reviews like this where you totally miss the mark of comparing the proper devices (2nd Gen iPad, iPad mini, iPad 3, and Nexus 7 are all not direct competitors, yet the iPad 4th gen is).

I would like a proper answer to this as it really reflects on your ability to provide technical advice/reviews that are valid - if not I'm going to consume elsewhere in short notice...

Sent from my Nexus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.