Google Nexus 10 Review: Is 2560x1600 High-Definition Enough?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]j0shu4[/nom]I have owned the nexus10 since launch and I wont recommend it to anyone till they fix the crashing bugs. The nexus10 is incredibly unstable. It's not just me either http://code.google.com/p/android/i [...] l?id=39879 .[/citation]

Same for the Nexus 7 - It's Android 4.2.1 - Google replaced my tablet in hopes it would fix the issues but they are still here with the replacement - It's the buggy version of Android that apparently didn't get properly beta tested.

Android 4.2.2 should, hopefully, fix that - If they ever release it. If I hear another person make fun of iOS's bugs, I'll send them a screen shot of my Nexus 7's crash screen, lol

Sent from my Nexus 7

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]neon neophyte[/nom]Sundragons user profile:"Hobbies : making fun of Android fanboys "'nough said.[/citation]

Haha :) It is a fun hobby, but seriously I'm also an an Android Fan - I love my Nexus 7! Well, before 4.2.1 it was great.

What I don't like is the one sided bias people have here...

Nexus 10 should be compared to the iPad 4

Both my iOS and Android devices have bugs - I get tired of reading "sheep" written from people who are a different type of "sheep".

Poke fun at both companies for their gaffes instead of being a tech snob :)

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Oh and voting me down because I complain about my Nexus 7 crashing is lame beans ;)

I had to switch to my laptop because it just crashed.

But if you don't believe me, look on Google forums and you'll see how many times I've asked for fixes

chase3567

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
While I have read of some of the Nexus 10 bugs the majority of buyers don't have any issues. I bought my Nexus 10 after owning a Nexus 7. I sold my Nexus 7 as I upgraded my phone to Gnote 2 and it's almost the same size as the Nexus 7 so the phone provide the portability and tablet like features. I still wanted a tablet for home use and I'm not a Ibuyer so it was going to be Android. I couldn't be happier with my Nexus 10 and I don't have any of the bugs which have been reported.

I'm one of those people who don't like to be locked out I like freedom. My Nexus 10 allows me to easily root if I choose too, I can drag drop files, music and movies with ease between PC and tablet. Since my phone is with the Android ecosystem everything syncs very nicely.

The screen is very nice but I also like the speed of the Nexus 10. I bought the 32gb version and bought a Dongle from amazon for $9. Now I can use flash drives for all movies and music. Instead of paying $799.99 for a 128gb Ipad(couldn't resist). I can answer phone/text with the $3 app Tablet Talk. Plug my PS3 controller into dongle and play emulated games. HMDI to TV for movies/pics. It's a pretty good device. It has maps which you can preload navigation before you leave home for use in the car. If no Wifi if I take with me, no problem I just hotspot off the Gnote 2.

Doesn't matter if the Ipad 4 was compared in this review as it was still out at my time of purchase. I still don't buy as I feel Apple products are overpriced for what you can get elsewhere. People still buy it and I just shake my head. When I see apple prices on PC/Laptops, the first thing that comes to mind is what I could build on my own spending the same money and get a lot more for the buck.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]chase3567[/nom]Doesn't matter if the Ipad 4 was compared in this review as it was still out at my time of purchase.[/citation]

You make some very good points!

I respectfully disagree about the iPad 4 as it isthe direct competition. It's a telling omission on Tom's part to leave it out without an explanation. CNET, Ars, Anandtech, Register, to name a few all use it as a benchmark...

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
im no fandroid but i absolutely detest apple and their cult following

their business practices are deplorable

the only android product i own is my phone, which is rock stable on ICS. ill let you know how it runs on jelly bean in a month when the OTA update rolls out.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]neon neophyte[/nom]im no fandroid but i absolutely detest apple and their cult followingtheir business practices are deplorablethe only android product i own is my phone, which is rock stable on ICS. ill let you know how it runs on jelly bean in a month when the OTA update rolls out.[/citation]

ICS is stable, I have told my friends to stick with that until the Jelly is stable as well.

The Nexus 7 is my second Android tablet - the first (a Viewsonic) wasn't great but the Nexus 7 is a huge improvement. They need to beta test Android 4 a bit more before releases as the current version has made it unusable in certain situation for me and caused a lot of problems for many users. Some of them are kind of ridiculous - Bluetooth being unusable and December not existing.

I have a feeling the bugs we're dealing with may be the reason other manufacturers haven't rolled it out via OTA.

FWIW, As much as I love my MBA and previous Apple products - I want Apple to have stiff competition - The competition between Apple, Google, Samsung, M$, etc. their consumers.

G

Why did they skip the iPad 4? it' had a significant GPU/CPU upgrade... was one of the reasons so many were miffed about it's early release..

rgeiken

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I have a Nexus 10, and never knew what a hassle it would be to try to use an external Bluetooth Keyboard. Right now the only Browser that plays nice with it is Firefox. All the other ones have varying degrees of morning sickness. For cunsumption of content it is a as good as any computer that I have had, but if you want to interact with it, it is close to the worst nighmare that you have ever had. Instead of just letting you select one keyboard to use, it frequently allows your comptuer to fight it out. If I have the Bluetooth keyboard turned on and then turn on the Nexus 10, it does not show anything about the Bluetooth Keyboard in the settings, but if I turn the keyboard off and then on again, it recognizes it. I have at least 3 or 4 browser than don't want to recognize the BT keyboard, but the Firefox one does right away!!! Horray for Firefox for at least this feature. I am not sure if this problem is inherent in other Android 4.2.1 tablets, but it is really frustrating to me since I frequently use a W7 computer that is smooth as silk with an external keyboard (wireless)

mas

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
Unfortunately, most of the debate above is moot.

As it is just another tablet that is underpowered, under-capable and over priced. The only thing it has going for it is a larger browsable screen size.

Why is this? Simple:

Why is this limited to 32 GB of user expandable memory in addition to >=64GB of internal memory!?
The MINIMUM should be 64GB and easily accessible for data, appls, music, or anything else the user should desire!

Most critically, it still lacks integrated robust OS level platform agnostic RDP (with the ability to remotely boot a computer) to allow one to securely remotely access a remote computer (per policy) allowing one to access real programs, perform whatever exploration/manipulation is required, and then to download a copy of the spreadsheet/doc or whatever is needed, thus minimizing security exposure of data & eliminating the need & expense of carrying a laptop!

Integrated telephone should be an available option for those who need the capability.

Assuming we have integrated robust RDP & telephone capabilities, ubiquitous I/O & agile memory access, we THEN have a truly converged compelling tool.

Until then it remains another pretty but over-priced, under-powered, under-capable gadget that one might carry in addition to an anything but smart phone and a laptop!

mas

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
Unfortunately, most of the debate above is moot.

As it is just another tablet that is underpowered, under-capable and over priced. The only thing it has going for it is a larger browsable screen size.

Why is this? Simple:

Why is this limited to 32 GB of user expandable memory in addition to >=64GB of internal memory!?
The MINIMUM should be 64GB and easily accessible for data, appls, music, or anything else the user should desire!

Most critically, it still lacks integrated robust OS level platform agnostic RDP (with the ability to remotely boot a computer) to allow one to securely remotely access a remote computer (per policy) allowing one to access real programs, perform whatever exploration/manipulation is required, and then to download a copy of the spreadsheet/doc or whatever is needed, thus minimizing security exposure of data & eliminating the need & expense of carrying a laptop!

Integrated telephone should be an available option for those who need the capability.

Assuming we have integrated robust RDP & telephone capabilities, ubiquitous I/O & agile memory access, we THEN have a truly converged compelling tool.

Until then it remains another pretty but over-priced, under-powered, under-capable gadget that one might carry in addition to an anything but smart phone and a laptop!

revfarquhar

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

You just described the Nexus 10 almost exactly. The Mali T604 is a quad core GPU, hence the "4" part and the Exynos 5250 in the Nexus is an ARM A15 based design, just like the S4 Pro, and the 2GB of RAM are also present in the Nexus 10.

skidawgz

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Tablets have been out too long for every device to be a "game changer". Either my monitor needs calibration or the reviewer needs to be taught what accurate colors are. One or two photos look better on the iPad and the rest look much better detailed on the Nexus. I don't get it.

eastyy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
while great for having all this power i think the size of internal drive space needs to drastically increase especially if pads designed for hd content 32/64gb i would use up very very quickly while i know you can use micro sd cards dont want to be carrying them around

G

They didn't need to lable the pictures because it was obvious by the size comparsion the ipad's smaller screen is easily detectable and that alone skews the results. The smaller the display the better the picture looks to the naked eye. Trust the numbers the Nexus clearly wins and the beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say and if I'm holding an ipad I too would choose mine.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
We like that the Nexus 10 boasts a higher resolution than any iPad you can buy, but that doesn't hand it a win. We like that it costs less than the iPad, but that's not a reason for a victory dance, either. Had this thing served up more decisive advantages and matched the iPad's display, it would have curried far more favor. As it stands today, though, if you're already surrounded by Apple hardware, the Nexus 10 isn't going to convince you to defect. If you're staunchly anti-Apple, the Nexus 10's shortcomings won't deter you. And so we're faced with perhaps the closest attempt at what makes the iPad as popular as it is, only for the Android space. For that, Google deserves props. The Nexus 10 doesn't get a recommendation, though.

So it has a higher resolution.

It is less expensive.

But you can not recommend it. Why? Does it catch on fire? Turn your children into animals? Cause your hands to break out in a rash? or is it simply that your so Apple biased you can no longer be an impartial reviewer of technology.

Those surrounded by Apple hardware and the anti-Apple haters are both minorities in the overall market, the general consumer is looking at cost feature comparison. iPad 3 may have a better screen in terms of color, but for day to day use, watching streaming video, playing games and reading books the normal consumer is going to have a hard time seeing a big difference between these two displays.

At its heart the core features users are looking for when they shop for a tablet is as follows ... $$$, size and available content. This is simple market analysis. Small variances in technology, and were talking a small variance between the displays on the iPad 3 and the Nexus 10 play a small role in product selection. The fact that the color gamut was the center piece to your argument goes to show there are few things left that are different that you have to pull out an obscure feature that most users are not going to care about or even understand.

Just because the iPad is closer to the Adobe RBG triangle really doesn't mean anything other than putting a graphic in front of people that shows a difference between the products. The actual device side by side in a video would have been a better example to illustrate to the readers using a high def camera, good lighting and the same content and brightness settings.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]Why was the 4th generation iPad not included in these tests since its light years ahead of the iPad 3rd generation. We all know that the Nexus 10 beats out other tablets on Geekbench due to CPU performance but struggles to run the display with its under par GPU. OpenGL benchmarks are a true indication of speed not Geekbench when it comes to extreme resolutions.[/citation]
Cause then the android crowd heads would blow open and gush gooey stuff all over the place!

tedmorrow82

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for this comparison and great review. I have a Nexus 7 and really like it (even trying to develop an own appa for it according to the followings: http://www.voip-sip-sdk.com/p_456-voip-android-integration-voip.html). Now I find the Nexus 7 a little bit small so the Nexus 10 will might be my next tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.