Google: No Nexus One for Verizon After All, Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakemo136

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
I don't understand why anyone would be "kilted"; the Incredible is everything the Nexus One is, and more.
In my mind, the Nexus One was an experimental flagship, with every phone thereafter being a newer, better itiration of "the Google phone."
If I were on Verizon, I'd gladly take an Incredible over a Nexus One.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]It's time to abandon CDMA and open up to GSM for a more open network.[/citation]

First off CDMA is just as open as GSM. They could (and did) use sim cards on a few cdma phones. It is the carriers that are not open. Hell Verizon wouldnt let you install mp3 ringtones a few years ago. Second Cdma reaches way further than gsm. (hence why att's coverage sucks unless you are in a major city) So not to pratical in the rural areas. Not to mention CDMA is more secure.

But on topic, I thought that the whole point of the Nexus One was to be able to use the phone on any carrier.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]jakemo136[/nom]the Incredible is everything the Nexus One is, and more.In my mind, the Nexus One was an experimental flagship, with every phone thereafter being a newer, better itiration of "the Google phone."If I were on Verizon, I'd gladly take an Incredible over a Nexus One.[/citation] Spoken like a scholar. I second this.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
How much do you want to bet that this has everything to do with an Iphone being released on Verizon later this year. How much did apple pay you Verizon. Actually they probably didnt have to, you are still kicking yourself for not biting on the Iphone the first time around.

MrBlonde

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
It doesn't make sense to release the Verizon Nexus one and Droid Incredible. At first glance I thought the Droid Incredible was Verizon's Nexus One. I'm not upset, because the Droid Incredible comes in at the same price point and has newer (read: 8MP Camera), or similar hardware.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]It's time to abandon CDMA and open up to GSM for a more open network.[/citation]

Why would they want to go backwards when they are trying to move forward to a 4G network?

And from what I've seen, AT&T's network is pretty limited in the area it can cover. I couldn't consider them because they simply didn't reach out to the areas I needed them to reach with even their voice network. The options were Verizon, Alltel, and U.S. Cellular.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Sounds like Verizon wanted to crippple yet another phone, defeating the whole point of "open" , and google wouldn't let them.

I wish phones would go back 5-10 years to the days of the HP iPAQ, were you could install and use any PPC software SEPARATE from the SIM card phone service. No pre-approval or censorship by the cell carrier.

G

MOTOROLA or GOOGLE. lets look at the past. Google wins buy a long shot. The whole idea is better and dosn't invade ones privacy. Google has the best staff for computers and motorolla for phones. Is it a phone or a comp?

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]orionantares[/nom]Why would they want to go backwards when they are trying to move forward to a 4G network?And from what I've seen, AT&T's network is pretty limited in the area it can cover. I couldn't consider them because they simply didn't reach out to the areas I needed them to reach with even their voice network. The options were Verizon, Alltel, and U.S. Cellular.[/citation]
Many people don't realize that data service is completely different from the voice service. AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM and Verizon and Sprint are CDMA, but this is only valid for voice communication. When we are talking about 3G. AT&T is using HSDPA/UMTS. The UMTS is also know as W-CDMA and it is much closer to Verizon. T-mobile on the other hand is using HSPA and HSPA+. That is why 3G phone from AT&T will not work on T-mobile's 3G network. 4G networks are different animals all by it self.
You can build good network using any of those protocols and you can build crappy network also. So AT&T executives prefer to give them-self big bonuses instead of investing in cell towers, that is why their network sucks, not because the technology.
The mobile service in USA sucks because useless fragmentation. USA should adapt single standard like most of the EU and work together on improving the networks.

intesx

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
That is why 3G phone from AT&T will not work on T-mobile's 3G network.

Not exactly... 3G phones from T-Mobile and AT&T won't work on the others network because of the radio frequencies their networks use. AT&T uses 850Mhz and 1.9Ghz... T-Mobile is still UMTS but uses 1.7Ghz and 2.1Ghz instead. HSPA+ is an evolution of HSDPA not a seperate technology.

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009

Patience, young padawan. LTE will be rolled out in a few years. One standard, all carriers.

G

Why couldn't they put contacts on the incredible for charging docks? If it weren't for that minor emission, I wouldn't care at all about no Nexus One on Verizon. But with crappy battery life and no way to quickly toss the phone in a cradle in the car or on the desk I'll pass on "incredible."

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
[citation][nom]orionantares[/nom]Why would they want to go backwards when they are trying to move forward to a 4G network?And from what I've seen, AT&T's network is pretty limited in the area it can cover. I couldn't consider them because they simply didn't reach out to the areas I needed them to reach with even their voice network. The options were Verizon, Alltel, and U.S. Cellular.[/citation]

Well... LTE is part of the GSM specifications, not part of the CDMA specifications.

So basically going GSM is going forward, not backwards.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
the CDMA protocol does NOT go further than a GSM one. This is a common misconception. First, Verizon uses the same long range frequency as AT&T -- the 850 band. Infact they are so close that in order for a repeater to NOT hear both it must be tuned to do so. This said, what makes Verizon seem to go so much further than AT&T is the fact that Verizon will use a higher ACK time and leverage the advantage of using COUNT DIVISION MULTIPLE ACCESS versus TIME devision multiple access, which is what AT&T uses when NOT on 3G. The ACK is what creates an illusion of further coverage, when infact AT&T / Verizon on the same tower, will have nearly identical coverage areas. AT&T however simply cannot have as many associations per sector as a Verizon sector. This is CDMA's advantage.
AT&T's 3G however, should cover basically the same.
On this subject, I can personally say that I'm a big fan of Verizon over AT&T. Verizon seems to not be AS disjointed as AT&T when it comes to handling towers. AT&T doesnt care if a tower stays half functional for over a week at a time. Verizon also uses more intelligent tower placement for coverage of a specific area, where AT&T follows the same rules for extreme rural areas as they do for major cities, thus resulting in 1 tower covering a smaller area. Verizon tends to go to the gusto to get the most out of each site. Its also worth noting, that Verizon does not tend to do NON 360 degree towers. AT*T will do as little as 90 total degrees, even when there is going to be a populated area left uncovered. As for the whole coverage issue, Verizon has about 60% more cell sites than AT&T does, with most of them 3G. I'll agree that in my travels, verizon has been everywhere I've gone in the U.S. -- AT&T / Sprint / T-Mobile just dont compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.