Google Patches High-Risk Vulnerabilities in Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]I didnt know a botnet could have security vulnerabilities.[/citation]
My thoughts exactly. Chrome users should consider switching to Comodo Dragon. It's Chrome without the botnet.

[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]I didnt know a botnet could have security vulnerabilities.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]My thoughts exactly. Chrome users should consider switching to Comodo Dragon. It's Chrome without the botnet.[/citation]

Do you guys even know what a botnet is? I don't think you do.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]Do YOU know what a botnet is? I don't think YOU do. Pic related:http://i.imgur.com/lHshj.png[/citation]

"A botnet is a collection of internet-connected computers whose security defenses have been breached and control ceded to a malicious party. [...]The controller of a botnet is able to direct the activities of these compromised computers." [wikipedia: botnet]

Oh! An infographic? My bad...you must be correct.

Seriously, though, botnet seems to be a gross generalization for this scenario.

1) It is not widely accepted that Google is malicious. Presumably, users (intentional users, anyway) do not think Google is bad or they'd be using an alternate browser.
2) The "ceded control" is certainly minimal and, in large, required to perform some of the services many users find invaluable (history/tab/password syncing ... faster page rendering due to proactive query assumption).
3) Google has not demonstrated the ability to "direct the activities" of these "bots," to my knowledge. At least in the general sense of the term.

That said, just like steam...I use chrome and enjoy it, but we do have to make sure they don't overstep their bounds!

Status
Not open for further replies.