Google Patents a Tab Assassin

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]I thought apple was trying to be the "tab" ASSASSin. (they are a double ass)And failing world wide with their attempt on Samsung[/citation]
Article is about Google. People mention Apple. Oh Tom's Hardware...

Lol. Its a pun because its a horrible article title, consistent with Toms reporting standards. And apple tries to ban the galaxy tab. Do you work for Apple or something? Get over yourself.

This feature seems dumb. For a desktop. But come on guys. Android shuts down background apps when it runs out of memory. It makes sense to kick unused tabs out of memory instead of the whole program, your phone will just reload them if you go to them

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Not everyone always has that option. I often use a few dozen tabs that I have to flip through for some things and on my laptop with only 2GB of RAM, I really have to watch my memory usage. Instead of closing tabs, I even occasionally kill their process through the task manager if I'm not using them now, but will use them soon and need more memory right now.I could be wrong, but I don't recall Firefox (even through third party extensions) having this feature. However, Firefox doesn't need it, so that's not a major loss.Actually, Chrome does not give each tab its own process, but gives tab groups their own processes (not even always related tabs, sometimes it just seems to group tabs randomly into processes). It's not quite the same.[/citation]

chrome only starts to group tabs when your processor cant handled many more processes.
mine only only groups when its close to 150-160 processes and when it does that i have to kill off tabs individually because at around 150-160 the os it self can become unstable, and result in a bluescreen.

i really wish chrome would group like tabs if i chose to have them grouped, like pastebin, i have about 30-40 tabs of just that open, crap i have to go through latter, but each one uses between 10-50mb of ram to have open unless i hit my memory limit, at which point chrome gets it through its head that it needs to reduce the amount of ram its using, and takes it down to about 4-10 mb a page.

i think the best way to improve chrome would have it group like tabs unless the user specifically wants them separate, and if they want to kill a tab, save the sites exact copy to a scratch disc that is user identifiable, again, unless the user specifically says do not kill this page.

doing those things alone would probably improve the chrome situation significantly.

Dragos D

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
I've been waiting for this since before the internet. Have always found closing my own tabs difficult. Thank you google!
Signed,
A satisfied future customer.

ps. could you also patent a thing that automatically starts up my browser? I sometimes forget to do that while I'm browsing.

ok. so it's not totally useless. it can be practical. you know? like a paper clip. I'm just thinking that, say I was to launch my own browser in the future, I could not implement this *cough* "technology" without paying google royalties. yup. that seems fair.

Hey! has sitting down been patented yet? If not, I'm gonna be rich! Tesla K20X's on me for everyone here at TH!

Dec 31, 2001
If google implements this, I forsee Chrome being useless during a malware attack like IE usually is. Doesn't matter whether it defaults to on or off, the malware can turn it on and then set the timer down to a few milliseconds, forcing tabs to commit suicide directly after being opened. Brilliant idea, giving the browser the power to kill itself with no user intervention. What will they think of next to help out those malware writers?

[citation][nom]Intelligence Absent[/nom]If google implements this, I forsee Chrome being useless during a malware attack like IE usually is. Doesn't matter whether it defaults to on or off, the malware can turn it on and then set the timer down to a few milliseconds, forcing tabs to commit suicide directly after being opened. Brilliant idea, giving the browser the power to kill itself with no user intervention. What will they think of next to help out those malware writers?[/citation]

Malware can already do that if malware writers want it to. This makes no difference in that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.