Google Patents Idea to Turn Your Hand Into a Touchscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewycq

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Time ago I saw a video of Microsoft about exactly that, it was funtional and all. This is the video in Youtube /watch?v=MUnvdblJhP8 and its from 2010

kingius

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
This really does show that all the best ideas have already been done. With all those PHD's I'd have expected Google to come up with a good idea and not this rubbish.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
[citation][nom]kingius[/nom]This really does show that all the best ideas have already been done. With all those PHD's I'd have expected Google to come up with a good idea and not this rubbish.[/citation]

You do realise you can buy a PHD

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I would think the easiest would be a laser system that displays the keyboard on a flat surface in front of you, then some sensors that see what keys you are hitting, at the intersection of your fingertip and the flat surface.

G

If we're talking about project glass, then you don't need to bother projecting the keyboard - just superimpose it over the view the user sees.

You could also detect 'key' presses without having to rely on visually determining when the user's finger makes contact with their hand, assuming the user is willing to wear some electronic sensor, like on a wristband or so - remember the tough-sensitive plant a few months back? Same deal.

G

| Canesta was ... briefly rumored to be acquired by Microsoft and help
| Microsoft to provide virtual keyboard technology for Kinect. However,
| Canesta is still operating on its own and has abandoned this market segment.

No, Canesta was indeed acquired by Microsoft, and MS's interest in Canesta had very little to do with the projected keyboard. Canesta had developed depth sensor technology similar to that of PrimeSense, which powers the Kinect.

Status
Not open for further replies.