Google Plans to Pair Your Google+ Pic With Phone Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

It's just not that, it's Google's constant destroying of people's privacy.

This should be something people should be able to opt in to, not just have happen.

Google is beyond the point now where Microsoft was when Microsoft was sued over anti-trust. With all this forcing of Google services on Android users (and yes, I am an Android user), it's about time they get investigated.

sketchbagcom

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
"your pic is visible if you already have g+". i had g+. deleted it ages ago. now that youtube merged with it, it pulled all kinds of related data into my youtube account from a deleted g+. do i want my pic on g+? do i want my occupation, details about where i live, etc? no. hence i deleted my account. but, since it was linked to my gmail, and that is linked to my youtube, its been resurrected and piped into this steaming pile of shit that is google+everything. google plus is like a sex offenders registry. you dont ask to be included, but because you did something (in this case just have youtube, as opposed to commit a heinous crime) you get added without your intent

I am forced to have a Google+ account because I use other services but I literally have nothing on it.

But Google is well known for changing things against what many want and not giving an option out of it. It is really getting out of control at this point though.

Two things I want is just alittle more privacy and more control which isn't too much to ask.

sketchbagcom

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
and re: neon neophyte, i concur. i am already in the process of migrating much of the shit google supplies for me. sure, comb through my web searches to show me ads about obese christian marriages or monster truck trannies, or whatever. but now i guess i have to make it bing for searches. android gets still used on android devices that have no viable linux ports....but no gapps. no search, no play store, etc. (i have to many devices to throw away). any time i am interacting with a site that may in fact use googles extensive ad network? tor, virtual machines with persistent disk support. its like television. if you want to tell my children what clothes to wear, how demographics should behave, what is "normal" for a consumer culture, go ahead. but dont ask me to pay you for it :) if you want my free services to generate revenue, even if i already explicitly said i am not interested in one of the many services, yet you bundle me? i'd rather drop the services entirely and pay for colocated mail hosting for myself again.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

I bet you're one of those people who thinks the NSA cares cares what you do too.

What Google has done is made it very easy to log into all of their services with a single ID. You don't have to make your G+ information visible on your YouTube channel or comments if you choose not to. Anything can be opted out of.

I'd like to know how Google is forcing anyone to use any of their services. You have a Windows Phone? You need a Windows account. You have an iPhone? You need an Apple ID. That's nothing new.

Newsflash to everyone: Google doesn't give two pounds of Rhino dung about who you are personally. All they want is your behavior patterns so they can send you ads. Google has hundreds of millions of users. Do you really think Larry and Sergey sit around and read your emails just to know about your meaningless lives?

And if you bring up the NSA, you suffer from paranoia. Unless you regularly send emails and money to Saudi Arabia to some guy named Akmed Hoonktihoo, they don't even know you exist.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Examples?

airanp

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
This is the beauty of America. People have the freedom of choice. And the freedom to gripe over free services that they chose to use. Had anyone bothered to read the actual privacy policies when they were first created and every time they have been modified then maybe they would not have chosen to use certain services. But at the end of the day the vast majority of users of these free services neglected to do so. Google is using publicly available information that is housed on their servers that knowingly or not you give them permission to use. Good luck erasing it from the net should you choose to no longer use Google services. They are as bad as facebook, once uploaded it is there forever.

grant barker

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I don't care if the whole planet sees my ugly mug. The more you put yourself out there openly and honestly as yourself, the better in my opinion. Far better than hiding and not being responsible for your actions. New World Order or not, I like this system.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

This has nothing to do with NSA or any such mess. This has to do with me controlling my own personal information and not Google deciding how my personal information should be used.

And just having an Android phone pushes you into EVERYTHING Google and it's getting ridiculous.

I was on World of Warcraft when they were having their discussion on whether to use real names (or at least names used on the accounts) on the forums. The moment people started "Oh using real names doesn't cause problems, here's my real name *insert name here*" all of a sudden these people got proven wrong because they were quite easy to find and many of them put in follow up posts about how they were wrong and changed their opinion. Even a Blizzard CM was quickly found using a Pipl search with nothing more than his real name being known.

I don't have to worry about my picture being shown because I don't use Google plus, though it gets annoying every time to go to Youtube and trying to click through prompts trying to force me to use it. It exists since I have a gmail account, which I have to have since I'm an Android user, but I have no picture on it. But displaying a picture does nothing for Google showing advertising. There is no benefit to them whatsoever and this shouldn't be something forced on people. If Google wants to offer as an OPT IN option for people to use fine, but it shouldn't even be just opt out, and apparently there is no way to even opt out.

I'm actually starting to agree with this thinking. At the same time, I think we need the right to NOT do so. Nothing Google is doing compromises those rights.

schultzter

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
If you follow the link in the article, and then follow the Learn more link you'll find that this is nothing new. When you provided Google+ your phone number you had the opportunity to opt-in. If you opted-in then why are you getting all bothered now that the service you chose to use is actually being provided?!

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/websearch/yq9kU5WnGCs
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/wd1PdOugKEw[1-25-false]
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/GUc8oDEyIcY
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/GegpMl-Yacs

If hundreds of posts of unhappy users is not enough, then I don't what is.

Its not this in particular but google as a whole is not always providing what the majority wants.

guys, this isn't about android or other google products, this is google+... it's a social network, you should know what you're getting into before you sign up for it and put your pictures up.

that aside, you realize this is about what happens to CALLER ID on OTHER PEOPLE's phones right? personally I like having a picture associated w/ the person calling me, especially if it's a name I'm not familiar with. what happens? I basically use people's FB pic on my caller ID anyway... you have to realize that stuff you put on something like a social network... you have no control over, it's in that user agreement, READ IT and actually CHOOSE. no one says you have to use fb or google+

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

That's all you could come up with?

You have one post about someone complaining about the old search results side bar being changed two years ago, two posts complaining about how YouTube changed it's layout two years ago, and one about people not wanting to show their full name on YouTube (something they can one click opt out of).

These things are like a grain in the sand compared to stuff other companies get complaints about. Look at iOS 7 or WIndows 8 if you want to see negative user feedback.

I think Google is going to be fine lol.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
So much fuss for nothing!
Just complete your G+ profile with bogus data.
For all the paranoics out there: just put some shity-web-found-photo there and bam... job done!

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
First I never created a G+ account Google did that for me.
Second Google linked my YouTube account to my Gmail account so my YouTube username is displayed on my Gmail screen.
Third I don't want to log into all those services at once especially my Google Play Store which is linked to my credit card. Since I can't download Android apps to my PC why would I want to log in anyway. Why do I want to log into YouTube when checking my email?
Forth often there is a delay now when I use Gmail and when logging in or out because of delays connecting to all those services/sites. At different times of the day some of those sites see a lot of traffic.

Also with the new tabs for Primary Social and Promotions only new mail in the Primary is shown in the browser Tab so if I get a sale promo for an item I want I'll never know and if it's time limited I may miss out, all because of Google's improvements.
As soon as I saw the Gmail login handling was switched to Youtube servers I became concerned, now if YouTube goes down it means I can't log in to get my email, yeah typical bean counter thinking, consolidate to save money, never consider the true liabilities.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
It would be annoying to move all my videos but I could go without YouTube.

The only thing holding me back from being google free is my android phone. I wish more effort was put into making Linux ROMs for existing phones instead of distros like Ubuntu trying to release their own phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.