Google Preparing 32GB Model of Nexus 7 

Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

airanp

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
A 32 Gb model wouldn't have been needed if Google would have just left the original specs of the Memo 370t alone instead of trying to force a cloud experience on a wifi only device. It would have been the perfect 7" tablet with a micro sd card slot and mini hdmi out.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]airanp[/nom]A 32 Gb model wouldn't have been needed if Google would have just left the original specs of the Memo 370t alone instead of trying to force a cloud experience on a wifi only device. It would have been the perfect 7" tablet with a micro sd card slot and mini hdmi out.[/citation]

What made Nexus 7 so popular was its sub $200/$250 price. With a higher-capacity chip, HDMI, microSD and required licensing, they wouldn't have been able to hit those price points. Besides, Google doesn't want to offer a "perfect" device, so as not to cut off other OEMs who don't have Google's advertising and content revenue streams and can only profit on hardware sold.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]What made Nexus 7 so popular was its sub $200/$250 price. With a higher-capacity chip, HDMI, microSD and required licensing, they wouldn't have been able to hit those price points. Besides, Google doesn't want to offer a "perfect" device, so as not to cut off other OEMs who don't have Google's advertising and content revenue streams and can only profit on hardware sold.[/citation]
You would think that a microSD slot would be cheap enough...

airanp

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]What made Nexus 7 so popular was its sub $200/$250 price. With a higher-capacity chip, HDMI, microSD and required licensing, they wouldn't have been able to hit those price points. Besides, Google doesn't want to offer a "perfect" device, so as not to cut off other OEMs who don't have Google's advertising and content revenue streams and can only profit on hardware sold.[/citation]

Not entirely true. When Asus originally announced the memo 370t last year it was with the exact specs as the nexus 7 but also included mini HDMI out and micro SD card slot. And it was announced with a $249 price tag. Google got their hands on the device, and as much as I love my nexus 7, they could have kept the amazing price point while delivering a much more user centric device and not a cloud based device.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]You would think that a microSD slot would be cheap enough...[/citation]
It isn't the microSD slot that is expensive, it is the exFAT/vFAT/etc. licenses that go with it if you want to support the same exFAT file system as nearly every other device that uses SD cards use so that cards can be freely swapped between devices without worrying about which one holds what filesystem and whether or not the other devices supports it as well.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Lets hope that they've fixed the slow down bug when memory gets more than half full. My 16Gb Nexus 7 slows to a crawl once it gets past 10Gb full. Just scrolling around the home screens slows to around 5fps with no other apps running. Oh and please Google fix the Play Store app which is constantly crashes after exiting the app... and the java script errors with the Google Play preview widgets. It's a great device for the price but often project butter goes missing in action and you wonder what the other 2 processor cores are up to!

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I got the 16GB model, I had to delete a bunch of PSX ROMS and a few games to clear space because it started crawling. I hope they can either fix it with an update or recall the tablet. I love it, but if I can only use 8GB on a 16GB model, I'm gonna be mad.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
With the slow-down problem (because of a memory bug) - how do 8GB models even work?

I have a 3year old iPad1, I've only used about 3GB of the memory, tons left.

From what I *heard* about the NEXUS, when you get the 16GB model, its NOT 16GB of user space. But for the OS and APPS it already comes with... which should be a NO-NO.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
[citation][nom]airanp[/nom]A 32 Gb model wouldn't have been needed if Google would have just left the original specs of the Memo 370t alone instead of trying to force a cloud experience on a wifi only device. It would have been the perfect 7" tablet with a micro sd card slot and mini hdmi out.[/citation]

The sad part is that I was able to pick up a cheap mediasonic tablet for $120 that has those features and already had 8GB of built in storage. Only things it's lacking are bluetooth,the rear camera and the fact it runs ICS instead of Jelly Bean but for $120 it has features like the hdmi that are worth more to me than a rear camera or Jelly Bean.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]PTNLemay[/nom]Glad they're doing this. But man... those first-gen adopters... lol, I feel sorry for them.[/citation]
It's the same tablet just with more memory for a higher price, the 8Gb and 16Gb versions are staying on the market. Unless you need to store a collection of movies early adopters aren't missing out on anything.

Has anyone experienced the slow down bug with the 8Gb versions?

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Also keep in mind... $100~120 tablets tend to be made of cheaper and older materials:

- heavier / larger
- Shorter battery run-time.
- Less sensitive touch-screen.
- Slower CPUs.
- Lower resolutions.
- cheaper materials
- easier to break, higher failure rates.

I see some of the User-reviews in which they talk about slow performance, problems getting WiFi to work, products dying after weeks of usage.

Back when CD-RW drives were expensive, I had a $120 TDK burner that lasted me years... while some friends would buy cheap $50~60 no-name drives every 2~6 months because of failures. In the end, I paid LESS and spent less time trouble-shooting and replacing crap hardware. (of course, DVD-RW drives are now $15 and last about a year or so).

expanded package

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
I have a 8GB model, have filled my device to the point of having less than 1GB free, and have never experienced any slowdown whatsoever. Not sure if it really makes a difference, but I am rooted and running AOKP.

Status
Not open for further replies.