Google Releases Chrome Desktop-Sharing Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Interesting, it is always good to have multiple options. Chrome is seriously pushing itself and expanding its functionality. I finally saw the ad with the Angry bird on TV about Google's Chrome becoming more and more of a gaming platform.

I wonder if they are trying to compete with consoles now that they have already shown stuff in Unreal Engine and talked with Crytek.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Anybody know if Widnow's UAC would let this happen. This tool seems a lot less complicated then remote assistance, which is a pain to use if the person on the other end has never used it (or heard of and know where to find it for that matter).

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]jaysbob[/nom]this would be an awesome way to really screw with someone.[/citation]

Which is why I don't really care about this type of "feature".

this seems like a vulnerability more then a feature, imagine if hackers could somehow exploit this... :eek: no more writing code to infect other files just make 1 simple script and do it with a mouse and keyboard directly controlling the "infected" pc

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Yes! Thank you! This will make fixing my parents' computers so much easier, now I don't have to try to talk them through it like 2-year-olds, I can just do it myself.

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I[citation][nom]mouse24[/nom]this seems like a vulnerability more then a feature, imagine if hackers could somehow exploit this... no more writing code to infect other files just make 1 simple script and do it with a mouse and keyboard directly controlling the "infected" pc[/citation]

I agree, although Chrome has proven to be a tough nut to crack so far. Probably a more secure option that what is currently out there.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Yes! Thank you! This will make fixing my parents' computers so much easier, now I don't have to try to talk them through it like 2-year-olds, I can just do it myself.[/citation]

This is a good example of how useful this could be.
(and this has been available since at least Windows XP)

Problem is that it leaves that same computer open to online predators.

sgtopmobile

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
i think i will pass, i am sticking to log me in, is a really cool app that allows you to FULLY control another computer, and it even has a iOS app called Log me in ignition, so you can control your pc from your iDevice

richgoose

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Microsoft started in the OS business and tried real hard to conquer the search business.

Google killed the search business, beat down hotmail, and now has the biggest fastest growing mobile OS...

Google+ may not be the facebook killer, but it may be a side project compared to Google's Windows Killer - Android64 anyone?

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Chrome OS won't be killing Windows. Android is the fastest growing mobile OS because it is free. (well free except for all the patent payments to Microsoft that all the handset makers pay.) Read the "Terms of Service" for all the Android apps; especially any thing from "Google" to see what they get acess to when you use their software and site. Then see if you still think Microsoft and Apple are the evil ones!

G

Why all this useless talk about killer this, killer that, fanboy this, troll that, better than or worse than, good for newbies, not interesting for experts, Linux vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Android vs. iOS vs. Blackberry vs. whatever, etc. I use whatever "works" for me that I can afford. You like something, great, use it and be happy. Why bash something else? This is a never-ending issue. And yeah, first experience with a computer: playing coordinates-based Star Trek on an amber-screen 12" monitor linked to a mainframe in 1975. I got a few baddies, I think! And I love them all, old reliables, new technologies, new ideas, new takes on old ideas, etc. Compare the computing power needed to deploy Apollo 11 and then marvel at the progress we have made. And just to keep things in perspective, think about the millions without all the stuff we take for granted. Does anyone really think we can influence/control any of the software behemoths? Enjoy what they produce and share your knowledge with others.

richgoose

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]Chrome OS won't be killing Windows. Android is the fastest growing mobile OS because it is free. (well free except for all the patent payments to Microsoft that all the handset makers pay.) Read the "Terms of Service" for all the Android apps; especially any thing from "Google" to see what they get acess to when you use their software and site. Then see if you still think Microsoft and Apple are the evil ones![/citation]

I'm of the notion that if you are connected to a network, consider your privacy already gone... Apple, Microsoft, Google, and just about every other big company get away with as much invasion as they can. My point was that a free or less expensive OS from google is going to grab a substantial market share versus windows. Unless the millions of current android / chrome users stumble upon your warning and start reading the ToS... and root all their droid phones to install win8 lol. and go back to firefox.

happyedit I pulled 3 things from your post

1) you are old

2) you like to ramble off topic

3) despite your accusation, not one comment here seemed to be trying to influence or control any software company... above I saw interested users debating the pros of the expanding functionality of chrome vs the (legitimate) gripes about google's privacy-invasive software.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Yes! Thank you! This will make fixing my parents' computers so much easier, now I don't have to try to talk them through it like 2-year-olds, I can just do it myself.[/citation]
Its probably better to teach them how to use their computer than to just do it for them. Or you can just do what I did and tell them to buy a Mac. Then when they ask me for help I just tell them that I have no idea how it works. Seriously, Macs are bloody confusing.

G

Am I the only person thinking that I'll log into my home machine and play games on it while I'm at work?

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009

Join the club

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Xenophage2112[/nom]Am I the only person thinking that I'll log into my home machine and play games on it while I'm at work?[/citation]

There's some lag as they said so, demanding games are unlikely to be enjoyable. Besides, you won't be able to take your favorite keyboard and mouse to work

Status
Not open for further replies.