Google Shows How Much of Your Data is Stored

Status
Not open for further replies.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
wow...I'm almost convinced of their "do no evil" slogan. Their data collection techniques and usage has always been a concern for me.

This seems a little selective in what they show you, but is still nice.

wussupi83

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I wouldn't call it a silver bullet but it's certainly a leap in the right direction for user privacy. Hopefully more initiatives follow Google's model, allowing one easy place to view your data and being able to control who can see that data.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Using it right now.. I can tell that there's nothing I couldn't already do by going into my account.. It is more of a summary of what you can already know and do.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I really do think that Page and Brin believe in in their "do no harm" philosophy, but what happens when they hand over power to someone else? What if there are a few rotten eggs a few steps down the chain?
How much clout do you hold if you have sensitive data for thousands of competing entities?
No self respecting company or individual should store documents or correspondence remotely with google if their content is secretive in nature.
But that's just, like, my opinion man.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
@cybrcatter

I'd say you have to put a minimum of trust in corporations if you want a certain quality of life (which is different for all of us). I know I trust the grossery store. In the past I wanted to be 100% on my own but hell, there's a limit I won't reach, like, killing my own beef. Same for email and stuff like that, and I mean it: I already tried building my own email server and god is it a PAIN and it ended up worthless!

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Now they can collect data on your dashboard usage too. And where is all the info they used to recommend me a video in youtube?
This is just ????????.
When I create any internet account, I'm aware that every click I do can be collected and used, that's the way it is.
What I guess will happen if I don't save chat history (example on video):
1) I don't have access to my old chat data.
2) google has access to my old chat data.

jokemeister

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
One thing Google continue to ignore is that a lot of people have more than one gmail account. I would love to see some way to tie multiple gmail accounts together or have one account with multiple addresses but as far as I know iGoogle can only have one gmail gadget etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS