Google to Buy Arduino, Raspberry Pi Kits for UK Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

infernocy

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
i live in the uk for the past 10 years and i have to say this is a public disgrace to humanity to reward those criminals with this .. if you want proof there are a lot of videos on youtube on how children are in the uk .. its just so bad that they reward them with this ..

G

@infernocy
Kids are criminals? Or the people who run the institutions are?

Whatever perspective you choose it's a good thing to give children education, especially in computer science. Even though the people who are supposed to do this are not doing it, it's still not a "bad" thing that someone else does...

Considering that the average spending in the UK is around £3,700 per primary student per year (about $5,800 US). Perhaps people should be looking more into where that money is going. There is no way that is not enough to pay for all the necessary teachers, buildings, utilities, new books, computers and other gadgets needed for education. With average class sizes of 26 pupils that is £96,200 (about $150,850 US).

This is even worse in the US where they get $7,750 on average per student with an average of 24 students per class or $186,000 per class per year. Yet they keep saying they need more money for education.

While Finland takes the top ranks in education in the world. While they get $5,650 per student and an average class size of 20 so and $113,000 per class.

There is just tons of money being wasted somewhere. It certainly is not the teachers salary, books, classroom materials, utilities, &c. Assuming you bought new books (and they costs as much as college textbooks), new computers for every student every year and all other devices each year all expenses shouldn't go to much more than $100,000 per classroom. In reality this number is much less as they use computers for several years, other equipment for years if not decades and books for five to ten years.

The Finnish number of $113,000 sounds just about perfect when you factor in a minimal office, janitorial and maintenance staff. Even they must have some inefficient spending though since there teachers make less money per year and I doubt they replace all education material and equipment every year.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]infernocy[/nom]i live in the uk for the past 10 years and i have to say this is a public disgrace to humanity to reward those criminals with this ...[/citation]

What criminals?
Where do you get that from??

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]syrious1[/nom]get in line Google, I haven't even got mine yet...[/citation]
Same here, though mine is already ordered, should be with me in about two weeks (hopefully).

That being said, from what I've read about the RaspberryPi, Google should be able to simply request a license from the RaspberryPi Foundation, build their own Raspis (I believe that's actually the way the two companies currently selling them have done), and simply bypass everyone else in line. Heck, they could actually sell them directly, too, if I'm correct.

However, even if I am not correct, from the news piece it seems the RasPis will only be needed at classrooms come this September, which should be enough time for the pending waiting list to clear up (current estimates for clear up seem to be somewhere around July, by that time it's a limited general availability is expected).

In any case, all the best for this initiative!

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]infernocy[/nom]i live in the uk for the past 10 years and i have to say this is a public disgrace to humanity to reward those criminals with this .. if you want proof there are a lot of videos on youtube on how children are in the uk .. its just so bad that they reward them with this ..[/citation]

:) That would be hardly a reward but it would be more like a punishment. Forcing the kids to study... wow! :D

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]What criminals?Where do you get that from??[/citation]

It is a well known fact that young Brits form in gangs and then rob people, etc. BTW It happened to people I know. They say nobody does nothing to stop it because they are kids.
I think that modern interpretation about human rights and democracy in Europe is about to break the society. I don't live in Britain but here too certain groups protected by these modern human rights laws in the EU, use the situation to commit crimes, extort the society, etc. And if the state tries to do something about it, the court in Strasbourg sentence the state to pay them. So instead to punish the criminals, many times the get a reward.

jiggles_20

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
[citation][nom]zingam_duo[/nom]That would be hardly a reward but it would be more like a punishment. Forcing the kids to study... wow! It is a well known fact that young Brits form in gangs and then rob people, etc. BTW It happened to people I know. They say nobody does nothing to stop it because they are kids.I think that modern interpretation about human rights and democracy in Europe is about to break the society. I don't live in Britain but here too certain groups protected by these modern human rights laws in the EU, use the situation to commit crimes, extort the society, etc. And if the state tries to do something about it, the court in Strasbourg sentence the state to pay them. So instead to punish the criminals, many times the get a reward.[/citation]

Typical narrow minded bigotry there! Stop tarring every young person with the same brush! Thats the minority you are speaking about. The majority of kids want to do well and don't fall into the trap of gangs! Your sadly misguided in what you think and hope that you see light! The kids that would get to use these will be the ones who will go onto build the bigger and better versions of the Rapi. The ones you talk about will always be consigned to the jail and courts!

Status
Not open for further replies.