Google to Drop IE6 YouTube Support on March 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Its nice to see big companies pushing old browsers out to pasture. Its nice having software that doesn't get out dated quickly, but ie 6 is WAY past its prime, and terrible CSS support make it a bear to program for.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
IE 6! We Will miss you!

Thank you for your lousy programming that redesigned and Revolutionised the spyware industry!

You lined up the pockets of technicians like me with millions of dollars while we format PCs left and right,

Thank you very much! You will be missed... in a weird bittersweet way.

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]_cubase_[/nom]That ballot screen is not fair, why should Google be the first choice!? Randomize it immediately![/citation]

But what happens if they do randomize it and Google still comes up first?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
"Many businesses have yet to upgrade to newer versions of Internet Explorer because of the expense involved in upgrading a large network of computers all at once"

not true, ie upgrades are free there is no reason to pay for new browser when the company provides it for free. it's called being lazy :)

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Wanting people to have the latest and best is all good. But still, there's internet freedom. You can't force people to give up IE6 if it costs them valuable time and money to upgrade.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]"Many businesses have yet to upgrade to newer versions of Internet Explorer because of the expense involved in upgrading a large network of computers all at once"not true, ie upgrades are free there is no reason to pay for new browser when the company provides it for free. it's called being lazy[/citation]
The browser doesn't upgrade it's self! It costs money and time out of the IT staff's budget that in this day of cutbacks simply does not exist. In addition to that, some of us who manage an software that is dependent on IE simply don't work on IE7 or IE8 yet... Sometimes wanting to upgrade is not enough. My organization WANTS to upgrade, but some of our vendors have not written IE8 (or 7) support into their software. Seriously, if you plan to use IE to render your GUI, for the love of God plan for IE updates! :(

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
In effect, this is another knock-down for Windows 2000 (which is incompatible with IE7+). This will be kind of sad for my wife's old-slow PC (Win2K@1GHz w/ATI AIW 128Pro AGP 2.O)... IE6 runs YouTube video without the stuttering that occurs in FireFox. Maybe Chrome or Opera will work stutter-free (but I doubt it). I wouldn't be surprised if Google reneges on dropping IE6 support for YouTube, but I won't hold my breath.

jenesuispasbavard

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]CerianK[/nom]In effect, this is another knock-down for Windows 2000 (which is incompatible with IE7+). This will be kind of sad for my wife's old-slow PC (Win2K@1GHz w/ATI AIW 128Pro AGP 2.O)... IE6 runs YouTube video without the stuttering that occurs in FireFox. Maybe Chrome or Opera will work stutter-free (but I doubt it). I wouldn't be surprised if Google reneges on dropping IE6 support for YouTube, but I won't hold my breath.[/citation]
Get Ubuntu, it's fantastic for slow PCs! (And fast ones too).

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
[citation][nom]jenesuispasbavard[/nom]Get Ubuntu, it's fantastic for slow PCs! (And fast ones too).[/citation]
Do you KNOW that the drivers fully support all ATI AIW functions (video in/out/tuner/multi-display)? It would make a lot more sense for me to replace the motherboard/CPU with something faster (and perhaps even update to XP)... rather than retrain my wife on Linux and have her dual boot for everything else she and the kids already use her computer for. Plus, I still use that system a test platform for software development.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]IE6 is like a Chevy Nova that has a thrown rod but still won't die.[/citation]
You sir are a Chevy hater :) Chevy's are much more reliable!

G

[citation][nom]rags_20[/nom]Wanting people to have the latest and best is all good. But still, there's internet freedom. You can't force people to give up IE6 if it costs them valuable time and money to upgrade.[/citation]

No they can't do that, if users still want to use IE6 then that's their choice; they just might have to get used to the fact that less and less websites function properly with their browser.

There comes a point where backwards compatibility becomes more of a burden than it's worth- and that's the right time to drop support. 16-bit programs in Windows being one example. Why anyone would want to run 16-bit software on Windows in 2010 is beyond me...

jenesuispasbavard

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]CerianK[/nom]Do you KNOW that the drivers fully support all ATI AIW functions (video in/out/tuner/multi-display)? It would make a lot more sense for me to replace the motherboard/CPU with something faster (and perhaps even update to XP)... rather than retrain my wife on Linux and have her dual boot for everything else she and the kids already use her computer for. Plus, I still use that system a test platform for software development.[/citation]
Probably not, I'm afraid. I didn't realise you wanted all your video card featuresto be perfectly working.

[citation][nom]city_zen[/nom]"There must be 50 ways to leave your browser" I wonder if I'm the only one who caught the Paul Simon reference[/citation]
You're not the only one...
Also, http://www.tk421.net/humor/ensign.html
That's how I heard about the song first.

Anonymousca4

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
@tomtompiper, ie stands for internet explorer, the standard internet browser with windows and most computers have 7 or 8 now

Status
Not open for further replies.