Google to Move its Data Centers Off-Shore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Without the protection of a local government, there's nothing stopping pirates from rolling up with their guns and stealing enormous amounts of private data.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
LOL @ Fulle.

The only thing I take from this is that if they were doing it to get around taxes wouldn't that be looked at as tax evasion?

I know alot of companies do this already, some might see this as anti-american.

Don't worry... I'm not boycotting google yet, i love to use teh google.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Fulle[/nom]Without the protection of a local government, there's nothing stopping pirates from rolling up with their guns and stealing enormous amounts of private data.[/citation]
Like a bunch of third world pirates can touch a 100+ billion company.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
If these ‘Water-Based Data centers’ were to be placed inside of International waters then Google would be somewhat free from the current laws and regulations that bind how it does business. Google could essentially invade your privacy a lot easier. Not to say they actually would, but it would be entirely easier for them to do so.

That would be entirely unlikely as google would have to move its entire organization of shore and not just a piece of property. And I am quite sure moving a data center to international waters would not benefit the security of their operation.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]I'm curious.. Whats to stop people from actually stealing these floating data centers?[/citation]

The US Coast Guard. Like all other branches of the military, they must always protect corporate, er I mean, national interests offshore.

They should put those data centers in Liechtenstein or some other place like that. No storms, no pirates, no sea water on the computers, extremely low corporate taxes and income taxes, etc.

Mondoman

Splendid
Read the Register article on this: the patent is likely meant for setting up datacenters in disaster areas or other areas without a lot of infrastructure. A datacenter isn't going to be much good out in the middle of the ocean where it can't tap into high-bandwidth network cables.

spiralsun1

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
This is an effort to avoid scrutiny and privacy laws. GOOGLE is like a data pirate, on the ocean even... Google was started by 2 Jews to begin to take over the next media (the internet) that they have already acconplished in film, TV, finance, and published media. See the A&E video "an Empire of their own" about their takeover of the film industry, and the book by California State University professor Kevin MacDonald about their motives for doing these types of things: "The Culture of Critique: An Evolutionary Analysis of Jewish Involvement in Twentieth-Century Intellectual and Political Movements (Paperback)". We cannot afford to ignore these things. Microsoft is a mouse compared to the Google monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.