Google To Remove A Symantec Root Certificate From Chrome And Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
On OS X.10 I found two certificates named "Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority" but both are signed by Verisign, not sure how we're meant to know which ones belong to Symantec.

SSS_DDK

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Actually had this problem on a friend's laptop (Mac) where Safari wouldn't open the wizzair website. Had to install Firefox to open the website. If this is linked to the bad certificate, let's hope not many more websites keep using it.

Dec 14, 2015

From Wiki:

In 2010, Verisign sold its authentication business unit – which included SSL certificate, PKI, Verisign Trust Seal, and Verisign Identity Protection (VIP) services – to Symantec for $1.28 billion.

Kostas Kritsilas

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Google is doing this because Symantec is taking too many liberties with assigning certificates, both for certificates for companies that never requested them (including Google certificates) and its statement that it will not abide by the CA/Browser forum requirements,

Symantec is basically abusing its authority as a trusted certificate authority, so Google is saying it is no longer trusted. Google did warn Symantec in the past over the issuing of Google certificates that it had never requested (Google is a certificate authority, so it doesn't need Symantec to issue certificates on Google's behalf).

f-14

Distinguished
i already removed them after the first report symantec was handing out trust like candy to the world for free and i have been removing verisign certificates since windows95b

Status
Not open for further replies.