Google Wants 10 Gigabit Internet Speeds: Fast Enough?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
and how much will this cost the customers???....if google is smart they could start providing internet service for about $30 and everyone will join the speed wagon

game junky

Distinguished
I like where Google head is at but their saber-rattling isn't translating to other providers deciding to step their game up so unless they're planning on dropping fiber in every major metropolitan city it doesn't really matter to me. Come on Goog, keep heading down the Kansas Turnpike and make Cox have an aneurism by setting up shop in Wichita. Just let us know where to send the bribery checks and we will get to work on that. Seriously, Cox is good enough but it's not "OMFG - my internet...it's magical"

Jess Castro

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
What folks fail to realize is that, yes netflix(and other streaming services) can work on <50mbps ....but the actual quality of what they send is garbage compared to the actual bluray/4k content possible from a more lossless format. It's garbage by comparison because it has to fit all that data into a streaming format for slow connections basically. If the standard connection becomes 10gbps, or even 1 for that matter, streaming services wouldn't have to cut as much quality/fidelity from what they offered to make it "fit"via crap connections.

Akizu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
The problem is that even through offering super fast internet in large cities is cool and looks nice in statistics it inflates average internet speed in a bad way.I live in Poland. I have a 60Mbps connection and no monthly cap. You can get 60Mbps connection in large cities here at reasonable price, in some areas even up tu 250Mbps, but small towns is where the problem is. In most small towns getting anything above 4Mbps is impossible. In some areas even that doesn't work well as its ADSL connections that use phone lines that are of poor quality and people have issues like throttled speed and disconnections. Some have to use mobile connections as that's the only thing available in their area and that usually means 2Mbps, very low monthly cap and a high price.

MaxTesla

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
640K???
It is a quote from Bill Gates when talking about ram, he said something like this"640K ought to be enough for anybody"K standing for Kilobytes, there are 1000 kilos in one mega, and 1000 megas in one gig, or if you like 1 million kilos in one gig

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
So much stupitity in the comments.Enabling these internet speeds means technology advances so lower speeds are cheaper and more accessible. Don't complain about them wanting to have faster internet, they want to improve the infrastructure to a point 10 gigabit is a possibility in turn everyone can have gigabit broadband for dirt cheap prices.

austenwhd

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Now i get it, but my point was, the necessary infrastructure needs to be built first then they should talk about upgrading speed limits. You cannot run sports car at full speed in desert, you need to build the track first. I just think the world is not ready for this speed 'yet'.

billyboy999

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Forget 10GbE, I'm willing to bet there are people out there with computers that can't handle 1GbE. I know my laptop can't, its hard drive tops out around 50-60mb/s. You need a nice 2.5" HDD or an SSD to get over 100mb/s reliably.

Guys... some People Dont have Internet at all...I mean, They want to get 10Gbps, cool, but wthere are 10-15 more limiting factors that wont allow you to use that speed anyway (Forget HDD/SSD not keeping up, think Cheap Server on offshore country that needs to process your request, and it cant handle more than 1mbps.Not sure If you guys have expirienced this, but if you watch streams like twich tv, probably the highest lag spikes will come from the server itself.And google cant change the servers around the globe... yet.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
To the "10Gbps... 1.65x faster than my Sata III SSDs. I think a better goal would be to get everybody on 1Gbps before worrying about anything faster than that." and "What's the point? There is no storage device that can write at that speed, a mere 100mbps downstream speed is more than enough until SSD or HDD or the next technology catches up to already available bandwidth norms." et al:You're looking at it as a single computer downloading X or Y file(s). Some people (myself included) have more than one computer in their household. Get a few computers going and the short-sightedness of rating internet speeds as "unnecessary" by your single SSD transfer speed becomes apparent.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Lots of people make typos pertaining bits and bytes, no need to get hostile with the guy for making a very common mistake. Just politely let him know, there is no need to be a dick about it.
Bytes vs Bits isn't a typo...Yes, Kevin probably knows better but this is how miscommunication happens, even the "tech sales" guy at your ISP sometimes doesn't know the difference I have had to educate several of them over the years when they told me my 6mpbs DSL line can handle 6MBps...even more recently when they were trying to sell me on U-Verse....48MBps here I come LOL... ;-) The worse thing about upping the speed caps is more about the DATA caps they (The ISP Companies) want to impose great now I hit my bandwidth cap that much faster for the month.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Screw the speed, ditch the bandwidth caps. I don't understand why people are scrambling for such speed when the services are specifically set up to guarantee you can't use it. The cloud isn't going to take off in a big way until that changes.
This becomes the elephant in the room that ISPs want to ignore...you nailed it.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
First you need to get 10 GbE to realistic consumer prices. I don't really see what the holdup is. I've had gigabit Ethernet for over a decade now in my home computers. Gigabit switchs have been dirt cheap for quite a while now. It seems that the steps from 10 to 100 to 1000 where all quite quick. Then it just stalled.
Agreed, my guess is cost of Fiber vs Copper. If you look at Wifi it's gone up really fast and the prices have dropped fairly quickly as well when you compare 802.11 G to AC. No "medium" required.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
First you need to get 10 GbE to realistic consumer prices. I don't really see what the holdup is. I've had gigabit Ethernet for over a decade now in my home computers. Gigabit switchs have been dirt cheap for quite a while now. It seems that the steps from 10 to 100 to 1000 where all quite quick. Then it just stalled.
Agreed, my guess is cost of Fiber vs Copper. If you look at Wifi it's gone up really fast and the prices have dropped fairly quickly as well when you compare 802.11 G to AC. No "medium" required.

Status
Not open for further replies.