Google Wants To Extend Your Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

djones171

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
We already have many hospitals in the country searching for cures. Another small group is not going to make a difference. Considering that the government throws 3 trillion dollars at health care per year without medical breakthroughs that make a significant impact factor, they would be better off trying to make a unifying medical record system. It has already been proven that medicinal cures do not add to life expectancy as significantly as public health initiates. Even CEO's are jaded to think that we can toss more money into curing diseases when the country only needs better communication system to stop medical accidents (40,000 fatal accidents per year), chronic care plan similar to the smoking campaign for obesity, and many other public health concerns. 70% of the country is overweight, which leads to many diseases, so why not focus on upstream, midstream, and downstream plans to battle this underlying problem instead of treating the resulting symptoms or diseases...

michael908

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
A cure for cancer is incredibly difficult to find. All the large biomedical companies will never want it to reach the public. They make significantly more money by keeping someone alive who has a terminal illness than curing them. Controlling symptoms and keeping the terminally I'll alive is where the profits are.

Jenome

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
They will probably convince u to upload ur brain data to cloud eventually so unless google go bust, u will live eternally and google cloud will sync ur brain daily. ^_^

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
As usual absolute power corrupts. Here we have it. If you are rich. You should live forever and the rest of the populace should exist so you can do that. There you have it folks. Google's wet dream. Funny though, they are not the only ones who want that.

djones171

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
@RascallyWeasel "Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight, including obesity: 69.2% (2009-2010)". Found directly on the CDC website.

jimbo007

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Many diseases are caused by gradual decline in bodily vigor and self-restoration capability. We will prevent all kinds of sickness if we somehow prevent aging, that is keep the human regenerating itself as if it were a new-born child. Go Google!

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
My idea for an awesome movie is based on Google glass, taken to the next level. Don't know why I am mentioning this, other than Google wanting to play with biosciences. How about implantable AR screens onto our eyes, speakers into our ears, and a control CPU into our scalp? Power for all three drawn from our own body heat. Now imagining a jackass hacker, hacking into you and making you see/hear things that aren't really there? And so you try to go after the hacker? Needs a lot of work, but my real question is, do you think Google might want to do that kind of AR stuff down the road (maybe 10-20 years in the furture)? I know ...I am retarded.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Not so retarded... I've seen Stephen King write books on crazier ideas than this.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
It is ridiculous to state, that if others are looking for a cure, you should not? This relying on others to do things must get you far in life. If they ever do make some progress in this field, I hope you remember what you said and decline the treatment. But I doubt that would happen.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

While I don't entirely agree with the above comments, it's not quite so simple as you're describing. In a world that was built on a system of division of labour if you have someone who could be designing electronics very well spending their time/resources trying to open up a restaurant when they are neither a good cook nor a proficient business person, then you have a loss of potential productivity/creativity.

A couple of people have said "Google would be more effective in saving lives by doing this other thing instead of this" and, if true and they saved 100 people by doing this other thing but they'll only save 10 by doing what they're doing, well, 90 more people are dead and you talking about "not taking the cure" thing is just a bunch of talk - since 90 more people will be dying because Google is doing X instead of Y. If Google wants to save lives and would be better at saving lives doing more computer stuff (making databases as described above), well, they should do that rather than enter an already crowded area with billions of dollars thrown into it.

Zharkov

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Did no one else raise an eyebrow to the CEO of Apple, Inc. being made the CEO of Calico? Considering that Android (Google) and iOS (Apple) are major competitors, this seems... odd, I guess? I realize that Calico won't be a direct arm of Google, but it is a Google venture. Maybe I'm reading into it too much...

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
djones171

The information I am getting is that massively obscene amounts of money are being spent to treat people using current treatments that don't really work and almost nothing is spent to find new treatments that might actually work finally. The money is spent to look after disabled people rather than findng a cure for them so that they will no longer be disabled and will be able to take care of themselves and contribute to society instead of being a burden on it.

To all you people saying new technology should not be created because then only the rich will get it. That has been true with all technology, and the sooner the rich get it, then the sooner the poor will get it sometime after. If the rich never get it then the poor will certainly never get it either.

alextheblue

Distinguished

You should try reading some cyberpunk novels sometime. Start with the older ones.

Kevin Morrison

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
First thing to do is destroy big pharmaceuticals because until we stop thinking of ourselves like lab rats taking anything that we are told will help nothing will change. In fact I would venture to say that the meds that are shoved down our throats today are killing more than they are helping! Next is to clean up the EPA and the FDA and stop them from taking the lobbyists side because they pay well and support our farmers and ranchers to provide us good quality foods instead of these modified foods we are getting now. Want to live longer? Get back to the basics and leave the real technology to nature and you will live much longer than you will being pickled with medications. Look around and read between the lines and it will become clear we are nothing more than heavily medicated lab rats. I never thought I would say it but the zombie apocalypse may be more than just fiction!

Status
Not open for further replies.