Google Will Eventually Be Dethroned, Says Internet Pioneer

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Tangental, but I digress. I can not wait for the day NATTING burns in a firey bit of lava thanks to ipv6, and that I can interact with my family members pcs without VPN layers to make up for dynamic IPs.

v3nom777

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Where the others failed, Google innovated. That's why Google won't be going anywhere. Not as long as they keep offering good services and a great search engine.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I should add too TCP/IP is robust but it will be "Dethroned" eventually. If migration issues are sorted out. I give it another 20 years before we use a new standard protocol. Unless it can differentiate between traffic priorities and address it's security issues like: (DOS) attacks, SYN Flooding, IP Spoofing, Routing attacks, ICMP attacks, DNS attacks...

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
And Microsoft will be obsoleted and Intel will fail and Apple will lose market share. These are all going to happen eventually. Hell, all it takes is a good depression to knock the wind out of most of them. There is still an internet bubble and eventually it will deflate.

roadrunner343

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Does one of the vice president's of Google really think it is a good idea to publicly admit that Google will eventually be dethroned? Even if you believe it, it just seems like a really stupid thing to say. Certainly does not build the confidence of Google's investors and customers.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]I thought this was obvious. Google will fall, so will apple, facebook too, over a long enough period everything comes to an end.[/citation]

Everything but advancement. :3

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
But isn't Google doing constant research on how to improve and advance things forward? I'd guess Google would buy any company that would appear to be making something better, before it'd start creating attention.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]roadrunner343[/nom]Does one of the vice president's of Google really think it is a good idea to publicly admit that Google will eventually be dethroned? Even if you believe it, it just seems like a really stupid thing to say. Certainly does not build the confidence of Google's investors and customers.[/citation]
Sounds like a very good thing to say when you have multiple countries investigating anti-trust law suits against them. Google isn't worried about investors right now as Google is raking in dough at this point, it's the government they are more worried about.

gamoniac

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
[citation][nom]zzz_b[/nom]I thought that Al Gore was the father of the internet. :)[/citation]

I know we made fun of Al Gore of that infamous "quote" a lot but he never really said "he invented the Internet". In fact, he is instrumental in pushing forward many technology initiatives during his tenure in the senate; many of which were in the 80s and 90s - perhaps a bit too old for some readers here.

I actually learned about this in a text book. Do a quick search and you should find some impressive things he has done, that Republicans twisted the context to make fun of Gore.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]zzz_b[/nom]I thought that Al Gore was the father of the internet. :)[/citation]
Me too. I read the article hoping to find his name in the actual article, not he comments. LOL

Al Gore would've invented the "tax cut", had he got elected. I still remember him saying the words "tax cut", accent and all. LOL

Didn't his wife invent ratings or something? LOL

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Johnpombrio[/nom]And Microsoft will be obsoleted and Intel will fail and Apple will lose market share. These are all going to happen eventually. Hell, all it takes is a good depression to knock the wind out of most of them. There is still an internet bubble and eventually it will deflate.[/citation]

a depression would take out apple, as its a luxery item.
intel would fall on hard times while amd would thrive, as amd has viable all in one cheap soltutions, however the power that intel has, people would still get it too.
microsoft wouldnt go anywhere, at worst they sell the os cheaper and cut proffits in half, something they could easily do for a long time and still pull out ahead.

[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]I thought this was obvious. Google will fall, so will apple, facebook too, over a long enough period everything comes to an end.[/citation]

correct me if im wrong, but this is the first time in history that we had a thing like google, that we had a site like face book, apple, well they wont fall without a depression, but they will stop being number 1 at some point.

i mean google is used world wide, is the first thing that pops into mind when you think search (never hard just yahoo it, or altavista it, but just google it is used all the time)

and face book is kind of an everyone is on it, and you cant leave it becuse everyone is on it, and so forth... i dont use it, but i tried to get friend to move to google+ got video chat... they just couldnt do it.

[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]"In 1973 we thought it would be expensive to build a national network," he told the audience. "You have to appreciate that we were living in a time of $50,000 computers that people time shared on. We predicted that there would be 256 networks, two per country, and then 16 million computers per nation. We ran out of that IPv4 32-bit address space in February 2011."Yep, indeed! It only proves that the IT pioneers were shortsighted idiots. They've made so many bad decisions that it will take centuries to get rid off.[/citation]

you are a moron. lets assume that you have less than 1kb of space, and you need to get x amount of infromation on something, you cut corners, im betting with the assumption it gets fixed when it can and its good enough for now.

lets see here, we currently have research that shows a 60tb hdd possible, does that mean that's the limit, or that that's the limit that we currently know.

look at the processor races, the ghz battle, the core, and the efficacious fights. you are working on a 333mhz cpu and its the newest and best cpu out there, do you plan down the road that there will be a 6 cpu computer running at 5ghz or do you make the code work with what you had?

for 1973 imagining how they did, they were probably thought to be insane for it.

G

Well there are 7 billion people on this planet and only 4 billion addresses in a 32 bit virtual space
They should have seen it coming
but this was 70 years ago

wudien

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I can see where the conjecture comes from; looking at yahoo and all, but el goog has ins with the government and it's entities like the NSA. They won't be going anywhere. Either apple or google with take the position of USR robots from iRobot. Apple seems better at hoarding money better so I say them. Siri the robot anyone?

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]Zanny[/nom]Tangental, but I digress. I can not wait for the day NATTING burns in a firey bit of lava thanks to ipv6, and that I can interact with my family members pcs without VPN layers to make up for dynamic IPs.[/citation]
IPv6 is inheritedly flawed because it uses your network card's MAC address. This means that unless you spoof, you're stuck with one address, making it VERY easy to be banned from various sites, VERY easy to be tracked, and VERY easy to be targeted.

I'll be eagerly awaiting IPv7 or whatever the next protocol will be, because as things are currently, I prefer NAT, even if it does suck.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Isn't it kind of funny that the father of the Internet is called Vint Cerf (pronounced SURF).
I mean you could say "Vint Cerf, The Internet" or "Vint surf the Internet".

kooldj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
google dethroned? [citation][nom]sosofm[/nom]Google will not end soon , because they have the money to buy any good idea.[/citation]
really? apple and nokia had the money to buy andriod too

emad_ramlawi

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
hello all ,

i would like to just add that i believe i read between the lines (remember The Devil is in the details) that when IP v6 hits the market and we all upgrade to it (its gona be messy btw):

There wont be any need of services that tie us together using VPN and tunneling and NAT and all that crap , basically we all gonna have an IP address that will work without the need to port forward due to the fact your IP will be unique , no more having a home with 1 outside IP address but 5 internal address (the famous 192.168.1.106) this means apps like Team Viewer , Skype , ..etc that thrive on connecting user "Magically" wont be needed anymore but dumb people will stay use it ,but open source apps eventually will take that segment and remove those products (7-zip people) , the same will happen with Google products , the move of IPv6 will decrease the usage of sharing and communication products(cloud) that help ease our life due to the fact there already shared out there somewhere ,cause like i said in IPv6 the process will be alot easier , and FTP server will be popular again .

My thought

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
[citation][nom]amdfreak[/nom]Whoever thinks of dethroning them, at least in the search engine market, better have quite some cash to invest and a great team in order just to start competing with them.[/citation]

China has its own search engines, powerful enough, or looking to be powerful enough, to service billions of people. Once they've got a mature home service working satisfactorily and profitably there'll be nothing to stop them pointing it at the international scene.

"Chingle" (or whatever it gets called, lol) could appear quite suddenly as a fully-fledged contender, not as a start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.