Google Working To Remove MINIX-Based Management Engine From Intel Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadsteve

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
Um, MINIX is not a version of Linux. MINIX is based upon a microkernel architecture where Linux is based upon a monolithic kernel architecture.

rbanffy

Honorable
Nov 8, 2017
Can you fix that "the barebones Linux OS is the most widely deployed operating system in the world" part? MINIX and Linux are completely different beasts.

ticamai

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
It's wrong to say that this makes MINIX the most widely deployed OS - MINIX has only been used in the ME since the Skylake architecture, circa 2015. Before that, other solutions were used, notably including a real-time operating system called ThreadX. Many of these earlier revisions were much easier to remove or disable than the current MINIX-based ME, though.

krueger.industrial

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
MINIX was originally created for educational purposes and loosely patterned after UNIX. The name is an acronym for "Mini Unix".

When Linus Torvald first created Linux much of the design of Linux was patterned after MINIX. The name Linux is an acronym for "Linus' MINIX".

jacksmith21006

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Good on Google to do this. But honestly MS should be taking the lead on these types of things and making us more secure.

I saw at Pawned 2017 MS Edge was basically hacked at will. Penetrated over and over again. While Chrome was the only browser unhackable in the time allotted.

Status
Not open for further replies.