Status
Not open for further replies.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
There's even a possibility that Samsung could "fork" Android and cut out Google services altogether, thus reducing the revenue trickle by using Bing Maps and Bing instead.
This would be suicide for any Android phone manufacturer. I love my Samsung phone and I think Samsung has been making phenomenal devices but I would replace it in a hearbeat if it was packed with Bing apps instead of Google ones. Samsung saw the hell Apple went through for using their own Maps. They would never make the same mistake by dropping Google maps for Bing Maps.

G

[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]The only issue is, the last Motorola phones that "actually worked" that I owned or looked cool to own were 1. The startac:http://www.google.com/search?q=mot [...] 34&bih=771or any of the Nextel Motorola phones that could be dropped from a 60 story building or thrown out of a race car going 200mph and did not have a scratch on them or a broken screen.[/citation]
the RAZR V3 was pretty damn awesome tbh

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]vilenjan[/nom]more competition = win for the end user. The latest Nexus phone being $300 is a direct result of this,[/citation]

The newest Nexus was a piece of crap, lets not get that issue started again, there's a tonne of phones with similar specs for $300-$375. It doesn't compete with flagship Android phones that's why its priced where it is, its a mid-range smartphone.

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Google are so naive. THey don't realize possibly the single biggest reason phones from the east are so much more popular than the iCrap is that people in East and people in Europe are sick of American arrogance and overly competitive practices.

Motorola will be less successful than Asian companies NO MATTER WHAT. In fact, the more they take a Samsung type approach, the more they will not be competitive. If they are more similar to the iCrap, in the manner that Samsung device are more similar in some ways to iCrap (but not in the truly evil ways, rather only in appearance of UI, sound effects, etc), then people who buy Americans will just buy iCrap instead of Motorola.

Motorola's best hope would be to gun for what's left of non-conformist American consumers by being different from iCrap. The rest of the world is already gone for them no matter what they might try. The rest of the world is waiting for Samsung to create a replacement for Android. Most of you are Americans so you don't know, but I do.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]vilenjan[/nom]more competition = win for the end user. The latest Nexus phone being $300 is a direct result of this,[/citation]Competition was one factor that drove down the price of the Nexus 4. But there was other things too. Like the fact that the Nexus 4 is a mediocre-build LG phone that lacks LTE on US airwaves, has no SD card slot, and insufficient internal storage? You'd have to buy the $350 model just to get 16GB without a memory card... which is ALSO insufficient in my mind. The camera isn't that great either, for a supposedly top-notch phone. Maybe they can sell you another $350 Nexus with 32GB next year. It does have a pretty decent display and a fast processor.

One of the biggest problems however, is that the big carriers don't give you a discount for using a phone off-contract. So if you're planning on sticking with one of the big carriers for their performance in your area, you might as well get a subsidized phone.

dishayu

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]The newest Nexus was a piece of crap, lets not get that issue started again, there's a tonne of phones with similar specs for $300-$375. It doesn't compete with flagship Android phones that's why its priced where it is, its a mid-range smartphone.[/citation]
For starters, please tell me which other 375$ phone has a quad-core (krait) processor, nfc, wireless charging and 720p display?

If a Galaxy S3 and a Nexus 4 were selling for the same price, i'd still pick the nexus 4. The only thing i'd really be giving up with that decision is the storage capacity/options (LTE isn't relevent to me yet). I get better performance and latest software in return.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Just before Christmas, a report from Reuters claimed that Google is working closely with Motorola to develop a smartphone that will grab market share from both Apple and Samsung.
Earlier, in Google HQ:

"Larry, this is terrible. We only seem to have sold 38 Nexus 4 handsets! Curses, how does Samsung do it?!? They've sold millions!"

"Well Eric, perhaps if we made more of them to cover the ongoing demand...?"

"You're right, the Nexus 4 clearly isn't good enough. Let's make another one."

"That's not what I-"

"We'll call it the xPhone. Make 50 - no, 100 of them. This time we're bound to succeed."

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I've read this babble 3 times and it still doesn't make sense to me....[/citation]

Are you able to understand: "Motorola has no future in trying to compete with other phones that run Android"?

Europeans and, more importantly (as it is growing the most by far), the entire population East of Europe, will never buy a Google product unless they are forced to. Currently, they are forced to because the only other choices are iCrap and MSCrap. But this will not continue indefinitely, as Samsung will eventually be larger than GOogle and will make their own variant of Linux/Apple destroying OS for devices that destroy iPhone and iPad.

maverick knight

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
[citation][nom]vkg1[/nom]Are you able to understand: "Motorola has no future in trying to compete with other phones that run Android"?Europeans and, more importantly (as it is growing the most by far), the entire population East of Europe, will never buy a Google product unless they are forced to. Currently, they are forced to because the only other choices are iCrap and MSCrap. But this will not continue indefinitely, as Samsung will eventually be larger than GOogle and will make their own variant of Linux/Apple destroying OS for devices that destroy iPhone and iPad.[/citation]

You still do not make any sense:

Where do you get this statistic that east Europe does not buy Google products? If they have a choice then they are not forced to. Do you understand how the market in different countries work?? Obviously not because you cant even write a coherent comment.

georgekozlovsky

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
[citation][nom]vkg1[/nom]Are you able to understand: "Motorola has no future in trying to compete with other phones that run Android"?Europeans and, more importantly (as it is growing the most by far), the entire population East of Europe, will never buy a Google product unless they are forced to. Currently, they are forced to because the only other choices are iCrap and MSCrap. But this will not continue indefinitely, as Samsung will eventually be larger than GOogle and will make their own variant of Linux/Apple destroying OS for devices that destroy iPhone and iPad.[/citation]
People are forced to buy Android phones?! Please, give me a break! There enough competition on the market (e.g. Blackberry, Symbian, Bada, iOS, Windows Phone, Firefox OS and Ubuntu come soon).
Samsung actually has already a proprietary smartphone OS. See Bada

Status
Not open for further replies.