Google: Yes, the Chrome OS Will Be Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

downer88

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
[citation][nom]D_Kuhn[/nom]"I think Linux is an awesome product... but I'd rather see Google get behind an existing Distro than spin yet another.[/citation]

Yes, please I would love to see that. Linux has too many options even inside one Distro. It sure would be nice to have universal Linux executables at least for realated Distros, and not have to patch and compile nearly everything. There's already varieties of Linux that have low hardware requirements. DeLi Linux, Damn Small Linux(DSL), VectorLinux, etc.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Free but for the price of your immortal soul.[/citation]
True*

*And all your private files on your computer.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I am just curious to how Google plans to make money off of this. Is it going to be advertising based in any way? I wouldn't use it if I had to see advertisements. If that is so, I will just use a distro of linux if I need a free OS.

samucaninja

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Google should launch a middleware for open source OSs so we can run windows games on them ... then they should launch an open source OS (or built-in the middleware on Chrome).

Chrome will die before born, like many others: red hat, suse, fedora, mandrake, ubuntu etc. No game support, no market.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
So what does MS have to worry about? another free open os? I would actually be on board with it but its gonna be like any other Linux based os, free and gotcha looking all over the place for right drivers and codes to get you crap working. MS is marketed to the average computer user not to the tech savvy, The kinda questions I get now from people who run windows are amazing, I can only imagine what kinda questions they are gonna ask from this google os or even Linux.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Greg_77:

Like the Android operating system they will make money from the adds they already have seen when you use the google to search or the internet or login to your gmail web account.
By creating a system that integrates the use of your google account and the use of local media in to one big happy shake they make sure those who use google mail and or other google services stay there.

After i boasted my G1 my brothers wanted one to and even though i set it up to work with their current on-line services they chose to go google because they felt like it was the right thin to do.
There is a serious flaw in that motivation specially if its the only one but it works.

echdskech

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
I'm a linux user and from the people I got to try linux, the ones who can live without their windows-only programs (mostly YM and iTunes) stuck with linux and those who didn't went back.

Sadly, if anything, Chrome OS will eat into the existing netbook linux distro (eg. Asus' Xandros spin) market share rather than MS' share. That is unless Google can somehow run these deal-breaker apps on their distro. IMHO, that would be a prerequisite to the big push against Windows the internet seem to be raving about these days.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]My computer doesn't run malware either, then again I'm not a idiot.[/citation]Intelligence has nothing to do with it. It's a fact that malware that requires the win32 API will not run on a system that doesn't have it. Linux will not run Windows malware whether you're an idiot or not. Since Wine isn't entirely compatible with win32 most malware won't work with it either (that's assuming the CPU is x86-compatible since Wine is not an emulator).

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Meh...it's for netbooks so gamers need not apply. However I am curious as too why would Google want to do this. One of the reason Linux isn't selling on many netbooks (besides the obvious) is become most people have only been exposed to Windows. Almost everyone knows or has been exposed to Windows. Even my mother (who knows zero about computers) can navigate through Windows. I don't know, if I were Google, I would skip netbooks all together and somehow focus on bringing gaming to my OS. But then again, if I were Google I'd be rich so there you go...

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]"free" nothing is truly without strings attached free when it comes to google...[/citation]

If they can make some good apps and games and sell them cheap but in mass quantities kind of like apple's App store then they will do quite well and have money to fund development. I personally think they should charge at least a small fee to cover costs when selling to netbook OEMs anyways, but hey, if it's free to OEMs then that means even cheaper netbooks for us, right?

Mark_Alberta

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
1) It's going to be free.
2) It's going to be free and it is open source.
3) It's going to be free, open source and developed by a company with the money and technical know how to do it right.

At the risk of sounding a little too optimistic, sweet!

Mark_Alberta

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]cc2258[/nom]Check out gOS. It's a Linux distro with Google apps built in.[/citation]

I did and that is a helluva idea for many people, though it does look a little too light for anything other than basic web browsing and email. Hope the Chrome OS has a few more features than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.