Googler Offered $3.5M to Turn Down Facebook

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]fayzaan[/nom]He could just get fired after he has completed whatever project he may be working on. I don't think this is a great tactic. When you inform/threaten to leave and decide later to stay because management asked you to or because you got some incentive, I believe they just want you to stay until the job is done. After that, if they have no reason to keep you they'll let you go.[/citation]
Does it really matter when you've got 3.5 million worth of Google stock in your pocket?

G

"I tried that tactic once... wound up with out job..."

You can only do this if you've made yourself difficult to replace, such as writing some highly complex code that only you fully understand, to the extent that your team-mates cannot easily maintain it.

OTOH, if you're some punter taking tech-support calls at a call center that has high-turnover anyways, you can bet they won't care if you leave, even if you were doing a good job.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
While the rest of you argue about the amount this guy is being compensated to stay with Google, I think the bigger story is that Google is paying so much to keep talent AWAY from Facebook. If this isn't proof they are developing their own social site to compete I don't know what is.

As for the guy being compensated so much, who cares? If your talents can wage that kind of cash then good for you. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]I doubt he's a software developer... they usually don't get paid that kind of scratch...[/citation]
This is Google. They hand pick best of the best from universities and take those who otherwise end up with a postdoctoral degree. Elite amongst them is definitely worth 3.6M

noveloa

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
LOL, I remember when I worked at a company that we all love but shall remain unnamed there was a tech that said he was offered a position at the competitor being XFX. He told management that he would consider staying if they gave him a considerable offer. Lets just say the owner of the company called the owner of XFX who denied such claims. This tech lost his job...

dustcrusher

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]...I think the bigger story is that Google is paying so much to keep talent AWAY from Facebook. If this isn't proof they are developing their own social site to compete I don't know what is.[/citation]They already have it- it's called Orkut. Big in Brazil and India so I hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.