Google's Chrome Browser is Now 4 Years Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I just cant abide by that download system. I like a separate window that pops up and then goes away when its done not some tab I have to open manually.

Been using it all four of those years too! Overall it's probably the best browser for average people - it's simple and fast. Firefox is obviously the choice for power users since you get far more customizability (from hardware and software perspectives) than Chrome.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Not to be rude to anyone, however Firefox is simply the strongest in handling boatloads of tabs. I use panorama to separate different tab groups for when I am doing different things. When learning, I make use of many different sites for the tidbits of info they hold.

Chrome, in my personal experience up to now, is unable to stably handle anything more than 20 tabs. There are also times when it decides to have a crashing fit (with only about 2 or 3 tabs open). The only really horrible time I had was with Firefox 4.0. That was a disaster with memory handling. Firefox has pretty much settled down now and is still my preffered browser.

Plus DownThemAll is the love of my life for downloading regardless of OS.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Chrome is fast but its a botnet to begin with.

My firefox loads pages 0.0001s slower but it has noscript and adblock plus.

Choose your destiny.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]I just cant abide by that download system. I like a separate window that pops up and then goes away when its done not some tab I have to open manually.[/citation]

1. Every download pops up by default on the bottom on the browser.
2. Press Ctrl+J
3. Profit

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]myromance123[/nom]Not to be rude to anyone, however Firefox is simply the strongest in handling boatloads of tabs. I use panorama to separate different tab groups for when I am doing different things. When learning, I make use of many different sites for the tidbits of info they hold.Chrome, in my personal experience up to now, is unable to stably handle anything more than 20 tabs. There are also times when it decides to have a crashing fit (with only about 2 or 3 tabs open). The only really horrible time I had was with Firefox 4.0. That was a disaster with memory handling. Firefox has pretty much settled down now and is still my preffered browser.Plus DownThemAll is the love of my life for downloading regardless of OS.[/citation]My experience on Linux is exactly the opposite between these two.

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
[citation][nom]wildwell[/nom]The most surprising thing in this article for me wasn't about Chrome, but about IE still having a 32.85% market share.[/citation]

Not surprising at all, some people don't notice the difference between the web browsers and just use what's given to them by default, the WMP users also falls in this category.

G

I just tried opening those webpages from the video and I have to admit it's not far off, they really do load extremely fast (I'm on 12 Mbit connection).

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Wow, it feels like it just came out yesterday.

Chrome is meh IMHO. I enjoy the plugin support for FF, but that has nothing to do with chrome. I don't like how chrome is sandboxed (yeah, I understand that's the point), and I HATE HATE HATE how it handles file downloads and print job interfaces (as the default).

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I can't just use 1 browser. No 1 browser does everything. Chrome is far more refined than it was 4 years ago, but it is often still unstable, and unable to properly render web pages.

I find myself juggling between FF for work, Chrome for play, IE only when absolutely necessary, and Opera as backup. Of all of those, only Opera feels like a completely self contained system that is always ready and waiting for me, as opposed to all the others that feel somewhat detached and session-centric.

I leave Safari on my computer too, but only if every other browser is somehow not working...

Bravo to Chrome for pushing FF and IE to streamline and promote stability, as FF had been flailing for a while between 3.5 and 3.6, and IE was unmitigated disaster after disaster until IE9...

Opera still owns my mobile web completely, only occasionally being supplanted by Dolphin when there is a glitch.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I was using IE before I found Chrome in it's 3rd version. I haven't looked back since, but I have switched up my browsers. Chrome for basically anything, Firefox for games/Fayshbewk and Opera for Banking/eBay/Money.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I started using Chrome a few years ago, and haven't looked back since. They leapfrogged the competition in speed, and no one's been able to really beat them. Plus, the addons are almost as good as Firefox's. Well done Chrome! :)

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I get faster load times with IE6 (save the site for offline viewing :)

anyway from my experience, both firefox and chrome are extremely fast to a point where the bottleneck is the internet connection for most people. The main benefit of chrome is each tab is it's own process so windows does a good job of spreading them across multiple cores so opening multiple tabs rapidly, or reloading a ton of tabs, goes many times faster than any other browser.

sslapikas

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]sherlockwing[/nom]Not surprising at all, some people don't notice the difference between the web browsers and just use what's given to them by default, the WMP users also falls in this category.[/citation]

some people in corporate environments do not have browser choice and use what's given to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.