Google's 'Safe Browsing' Program To Block More Websites With 'Unwanted Software'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Oh no! They're gonna block the google chrome website!!!

"It is deceptive, promising a value proposition that it does not meet."
Check.

"It tries to trick users into installing it or it piggybacks on the installation of another program."
Totally check.

"It doesn't tell the user about all of its principal and significant functions."
Oh, definitely check.

"It affects the user's system in unexpected ways."
LEL.

"It is difficult to remove."
Not check.

"It collects or transmits private information without the user's knowledge."
<_<

"It is bundled with other software, and its presence is not disclosed."
Check.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Total BS, I don't need google to tell me where I can and can't visit a site, if I see it one more time I am switching to another browser, they can go stick it where the Sun don't shine.

Guess who is going to be back complaining they bypassed the screen and now have malware and viruses on their system...

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
So far, those notices can be bypassed with a single click. So nothing really gets blocked. You just get notified that potential headaches lie ahead if you proceed onward.
Well...

https://www.corbettreport.com/whos-afraid-of-the-internet-elites-panic-as-information-control-flounders/
https://www.corbettreport.com/just-be-evil-the-unauthorized-history-of-google/

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

LMAO......so true.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
So far, those notices can be bypassed with a single click. So nothing really gets blocked. You just get notified that potential headaches lie ahead if you proceed onward.
Don't be so quick to dismiss google and its intentions.
A little research with an open mind will go a long way!

History tells us something. And that something is 2 words.
1. Power.
2. Money.

To understand power, you can start off with understanding how the banking system works. The power to create money, aka creation of credit (the official banking terminology), aka fractional reserve banking is in the hands of a few wealthy powerful people. Countries don't create money and pump purchasing power into an economy. This is don't by a few private banks and international bankers.

In all the 10-15 wonderful years in school, did you learn, How new money is created? Who creates it? Where it comes from? What purpose does it serve?
The most important entity that links every human on earth together is Money. Without which you or me or anybody else would be worthless and on the streets. Yet, someone very conveniently decided we are not to learn about this highly important topic called money. No school on planet teaches that, except the few handful of B-Schools, after which they end up as bankers!!

Most people end up living their entire life thinking they understand the world we live in, but only a handful truly understand it.
The journey to understanding the ugly planet we live in begins with understanding...Power! Which begins with understanding money!!

What about false positives? I remember about ~5-6 years ago my work website getting flagged in google returns as not safe. Reason for flagging at the time was a self-extracting winzip file that contained one of our sound card drivers.

It was like pulling teeth getting removed from that flagging.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
As long as they allow the user to bypass this setting I have no issues with it. Some of us are required to download those nasty bitties to see how it affects systems or how to remove it for knowledge purposes. Not to mention its not up to google to police how a user maintains their system if and when the user decides they want to go to those retarded zones.

If you become anymore paranoid, you will find a room to live in, black out all of the windows, and never come out again.

I use Google because google gives me the best search results. I use some other things that google puts out because I like how they work for me. And there are lots of Google things that I never use. I pick what to use and what not to use. I do not let paranoia define my life.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
folks also seem to be forgetting that for the most part, we here at tom's are not "average" users. anyone here who spends any amount of time cleaning malware off other people's pc's can sure appreciate the need for a feature such as this to help keep the general ignorant masses out of the trouble they so desperately want to be in.

i personally use no kind of antivirus/antimalware programs on my pc and have no issues. but i would not suggest this to normal pc users. they should have anti virus/malware/stupidity installed as well as every possible plug in/filter that can stop them from infecting themselves weekly!!

I would not connect my PC to the internet without a paid subscription for a full blown anti-virus and anti-malware protection system in place.

I turned off my anti-virus protection once. Many years ago. Roughly 10 minutes later, I turned it back on. At the time, I thought nothing of it. The next day when I powered up, I was greeted with this big ugly monkey dancing on my screen... And that was a royal pain in the arse to get rid of.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i don't suggest it for most anyone. i just know i have not used any av program in over 15 years now and don't have any problems. i KNOW i am an outlier and most don't share my experience which is why i advise others to use one. even back in the day when i was using a lot of unsafe sites and warez programs, i still never got a virus/malware.

but i applaud google for their efforts to put my malware removal business out of business. anything a major player can do to help keep the ignorant masses safe helps me sleep a little better at night :D

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

LMAO!!! somehow i don't think my business will ever die. no amount of protection can ever stop what happens when folks just mindlessly click "ok" "ok" "ok" "ok" it may warn them but they'll click anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.