Google's study on Hard Drives

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sailer

Splendid
One thing I did notice, was the five year failure rate was about 8%. The study didn't point out that meant that about 92% of the drives of that age didn't fail. If you added the total numbers of the failure rates, they would be about 38%, which is very high, but that still leaves 62% (or nearly two thirds) which kept on going. Ok, maybe I'm in that 62% which has no significate drive failures.

The flaw in your logic is that google likely upgrades its storage systems every 3-5 years. Meaning they don't have a hard drive in their data center older than 5 years because they've all been destroyed to pave way for newer, bigger HDDs. Hence, there's no study data for HDD's older than 5 years because they don't exist! ;-)

I didn't mean to imply beyond 5 years, as that was only as far as the study described, but only to point out the survival rates at the 5 year mark. Still some of us have had hard drives that lasted much longer than 5 years and in some cases, have learned which companies make hard drives that fail quicky as well.

A major problem that I see is that the drives makes and types were not described. We don't know if the figures were the same over all companies, or if there was one or two companies that dragged the overall average down. That's a problem in statistics and averages. If one drive is DOA and another lives for ten years, then the average age is 5 years.

If the study had said that there was a high failure rate in Maxtor and Hitachi, for example, but a low failure rate with Seagate and Western Digital, then we consumers could adjust our buying accordingly. On the other hand, if the study had said it didn't matter what company made the hard drive as far as failure rates went, then that would have pointed to a general problem in the industry instead of a localized one.