Google's YouTube Acquiring Twitch for $1 Billion (Report)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Wow Google is just swallowing up everybody.

Fortunately, they have a history of being respectful about it. They generally still allow the companies and projects the absorb to operate mostly independently. All of their purchasing is more about integration rather than elimination.

Think of what Facebook did to Instagram. They bought them, and then... changed basically nothing. Just enabled Facebook and Instagram to interface more efficiently.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Francis really doesn't like this at all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loeFYdbvrZM

And neither does Boogies2988 himself (his actual thoughts);
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og3JdlgnaM8

If you vote me down, please say why

I downvoted because you do not like this deal but you used a google service to voice your opinion.

that and because twitch chat has been failing terribly lately.
I was more interested in why people don't like the boogie2988 videos since I posted a comment with a video link about the subject in the "You Can Now Refund Your Xbox Live Subscription" (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2142899/refund-xbox-live-subscription.html) tomshardware article a few days ago and got "-4" vote. But thanks for the laugh

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I think this could be a real boost for Twitch... Google can provided them the financial and tech backing they need.

Google will just have to toe the line on making sure Twitch isn't violating copyright law

Tankattack

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
I love twitch, and I feel like this deal would really help twitch (mainly the chat). But I do have a few concerns as well. If google tries to put the same regulations on twitch that it has on youtube it would kill off a large reason why I use twitch. most of the people I watch are small, under 20 viewers per stream. If they have to jump through hoops just to steam it could be trouble. As of now it's easier to grow on twitch then it is on youtube and I hope it stays that way. Also I hope they don't cram in the 40 second unskippable ads that are on youtube. Nothing sucks like watching a tournament and just when the action starts you get an ad. Pros and cons if this deal goes through people need to remember that.

Tankattack

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
I love twitch, and I feel like this deal would really help twitch (mainly the chat). But I do have a few concerns as well. If google tries to put the same regulations on twitch that it has on youtube it would kill off a large reason why I use twitch. most of the people I watch are small, under 20 viewers per stream. If they have to jump through hoops just to steam it could be trouble. As of now it's easier to grow on twitch then it is on youtube and I hope it stays that way. Also I hope they don't cram in the 40 second unskippable ads that are on youtube. Nothing sucks like watching a tournament and just when the action starts you get an ad. Pros and cons if this deal goes through people need to remember that.

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Google has a terrible reputation about "intellectual" property and respecting fair use. This makes me sad panda because I suspect that the only thing that would get the behemoth to change it's ways and adopt a more consumer friendly attitude is competition from other video repositories like twitch, but if they keep buying up all the competition.....

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
I thought twitch was ran by some little Troll brats that got lucky and got some huge funding and afterward still acted totally unprofessional "kids" towards users banning them for dumb things and so on instead of acting like a respected company. Now the brats are getting billions?

Status
Not open for further replies.