Got a couple questions regarding my PC build

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
Now I know this is noobie but I gotta ask so please don't laugh :).

1). When running SLI with 2 monitors can I just run each off its own cards hdmi? Or do I need to run off the same card?

2). When overclocking the cards in SLI do they show as one card to change the clocks, or do you need to do the cards individually?

3). For my Corsair H110 CPU cooler I'd like to change the stock 140mm fans to Cougar 140mm LED's that have a static pressure of 1.4. Is this enough? I will also be running it with 4 of the fans in push/pull.

Solution
I do believe that it will affect it a lot. Push pull doesn't do much in terms of performance gains, it's really just a modifier to SP performance. At best case you'll have a 2.8 mm/H2O SP from your push pull, actual practice will show lower results. In addition to that, your CFM of airflow won't be doubled by your fans, it will stay the same, so unless these fans push a lot more air than the Corsair fans, you won't see any performance gains. Very likely you'd see losses though.

P1nnacle

Distinguished
1) It's better to run both of the monitors on the same graphics card.
2) You'll have to overclock both cards individually.
3) The stock Corsair fans have a SP rating of 4.0 mm/H2O, they are a much better choice than any other fan on the market.

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013

I know the Stock Corsair fan is superior for the application, just wondering if it will still function well especially using 4 fans.

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013

You honestly think it will effect it that much, and using a push/pull formation on the rad won't help?

P1nnacle

Distinguished
I do believe that it will affect it a lot. Push pull doesn't do much in terms of performance gains, it's really just a modifier to SP performance. At best case you'll have a 2.8 mm/H2O SP from your push pull, actual practice will show lower results. In addition to that, your CFM of airflow won't be doubled by your fans, it will stay the same, so unless these fans push a lot more air than the Corsair fans, you won't see any performance gains. Very likely you'd see losses though.

Solution

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013

Thank you very much for the in depth explanation. I more or less understand what your saying and what it comes down to is a trade off of performance to esthetics. Going by rated sound the Cougar is a lot quieter which is also a plus. All I'd like to do is some mild overclocking so as long as I can keep base performance while running quiet, and looking good I'm happy.

Pretty sure you are wrong on number 2. I used MSI afterburner to overclock my 560s when I had them in SLI and they both ALWAYS changed clocks at the same time with a single overclock.

Nucl3ar

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013

Yes I believe if you sync them in the software it changes both.

MSI afterburner requires no changing of any settings. It only gives you one slider for core clock, memory clock, voltage, etc. Botch cards change at the same time always. This is how SLi works. Both cards ALWAYS run at the same speeds. ALWAYS. They default to the slower of the two cards speeds as soon as your run them together. That is how it works.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Hmm, I used EVGA Precision X, and I had to change both... Different programs I guess.