Got a dell inspiron 1501 for 30$ (not used) and i want to get the win xp licence key from it.

ItsGamingTube

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
So this laptop doesnt have a STICKER with the licence key.
How do i get it?

I want to resell it and i need the original product key to activate windows XP and change it into a windows 10 product key (contacted ms support and they said that i need the old key)

ItsGamingTube

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
If it doesn't have a sticker it uses an OEM (bulk) key that is tied to the bios, you will have to install XP and then see if it will allow you to update to win 7 or directly to win 10 for free.
So i have to install xp with the restore system by dell?
Also how do i upgrade to win 7 using the xp key?
And if i change it to a win 7 key i will lose the old xp key?

Yes restore XP then try to update to 7 it should look up your license key from bios and if it's supported it will update without asking you for a key.
You can't loose the old XP key if you don't have it to begin with...you will be able to restore back to XP again though.

ItsGamingTube

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
Yes restore XP then try to update to 7 it should look up your license key from bios and if it's supported it will update without asking you for a key.
You can't loose the old XP key if you don't have it to begin with...you will be able to restore back to XP again though.
How do i open the system restore by dell on that laptop?
Also i want to keep it to use remote play from my ps4 slim but i need windows 7 and i dont know how to open the xp restore system by dell (F8 or something idk)

USAFRet

Titan
So i have to install xp with the restore system by dell?
Also how do i upgrade to win 7 using the xp key?
And if i change it to a win 7 key i will lose the old xp key?
Upgrading from XP to 7 was/is a paid thing.
Not free.

You may as well just buy a valid license of <whatever> and do a full wipe and install.

Bit confused here...
"I want to resell it ..."
and
"Also i want to keep it to use remote play from my ps4 slim but i need windows 7 "

Sell or keep?
What are the specs of this system?
What do you want as the end result...Win 7 or 10?

ItsGamingTube

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
Upgrading from XP to 7 was/is a paid thing.
Not free.

You may as well just buy a valid license of <whatever> and do a full wipe and install.

Bit confused here...
"I want to resell it ..."
and
"Also i want to keep it to use remote play from my ps4 slim but i need windows 7 "

Sell or keep?
What are the specs of this system?
What do you want as the end result...Win 7 or 10?
I changed my mind.
I want to keep it to remote play on ps4 from an another location and from home (i know a trick to do that).

This system has 1GB ram 256 mb video memory a 1.8 ghz cpu and 3 harddisks.

USAFRet

Titan
I changed my mind.
I want to keep it to remote play on ps4 from an another location and from home (i know a trick to do that).

This system has 1GB ram 256 mb video memory a 1.8 ghz cpu and 3 harddisks.
1GB RAM?

That is not suitable for Win 7 OR 10.

What CPU is in it?

Your best bet for this device?
Either Linux, or the scrap pile.