Got a graphics card, installed it but get no display after reboot

NJa90

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hey everyone,

I have a HP Pavilion a6257c (Intel Core 2 Duo E4500) and I just got the Sims 3. Trying to run it for the first time, I got this message saying it wouldn't play. Did my research and found out I had no graphics card, only the basic chip included (Intel 82945G Chipset, or the onboard one).

So I went and bought me an XFX GEforce 7600GT graphics card for cheap (I'm a broke student trying to get some fun during the Christmas break). Then took my time installing it (as the damn thing didn't fit in the case and I had to actually break in the case with some gardening shears to accomodate the card... talk about creativity there...), and when I went to turn the computer on I had no display (screen was black).

I trully do NOT know what to do anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

simmons33

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Hmmm, Only a 250W PSU in that Unit? The Video card you bought (Since it doesn't require any power connectors from what Ive looked up) is drawing another 75Ws from your system. Do you hear anything like windows bootup sound when you turn your PC on?

Edit- And one more thing, You do have your monitor plugged into the dedicated card now and not into the motherboard? lol, Ive seen that happen a few times

NJa90

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Monitor connected to the video card. No sound from windows booting up. I also tried connecting the monitor to the motherboard, but still nothing comes up (as I though I had to have it connected to the motherboard for installing the drivers and then switch, but again, I did try your way)... I have spent countless hours looking this up, and nothing comes up...

sharnthor

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hi

You should check the bios, there you must switch your video adapter to the PCI-Express slot.

When you install the new drive, insert the drive first then plug your monitor onto the new Graphics Card. That should work fine. If not, take the card out and switch your PC on(with your monitor connected to the motherboard), go into bios and swtich to onboard PCI-Express graphics. Once saved, switch your computer off and install the new graphics card. Plug your monitor onto the new graphics card and that will work perfectly.

NJa90

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I have checked the bios, but I don't understand what to do there.

1) I went into Advanced settings,
2) the Primary Video Adapter setting is on PCI.
3) I changed it, changed it back, saved and rebooted.
4) Turned off pc and tried inserting the graphics card and rebooting again (with monitor on card)
5) No display shown (monitor appears black).

If not, take the card out and switch your PC on(with your monitor connected to the motherboard), go into bios and swtich to onboard PCI-Express graphics.
I don't really get what you mean by onboard PCI-E graphics??? There's no setting like that there.

NJa90

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I bought it online, yes ($25). Person assured me they never used it, and I do believe it cuz the box was intact. I do not have another machine to test it from.

sharnthor

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Okay...let's start from scratch...

Take the new card out of your computer.

Then, ensure your bios states that the Video Adapter is set to on board graphics.

Start Windows up and switch off your computer.

Now, switch your computer on again and enter the BIOS. Set your primary adapter to PCI-Express, not PCI(as I understand it you've bought a PCI-Express graphics card so it needs to be set to PCI-Express).

Once set, save your setings and quit BIOS. Once this is done, your display should now not work anymore as your monitor is connected to the motherboard and your bios is set to the PCI-Express card which is not installed.

This is where you switch off the computer and install the new graphics card. Once installed, plug your monitor into the graphics card and not the motherboard.

Switch your computer on and it should work perfectly.

Generally, the biggest mistake people make is to plug the monitor into the wrong video slot at this stage. Also, ensure that the graphics card fits perfectly into the slot and is secure. Once you plug your monitor in, if the graphics card isn't secure, this can easily lift the card out of the PCI-Express slot.

Let me know what happens

NJa90

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Following step by step as indicated.

1)Bios says onboard graphics. check
2)Started up and switched off. check
3)Switched on and went to bios to set primary adapter to PCI-Express, but it has never been one of the options. so I'm stucked.

I have checked in several different ways, and the BIOS version is up to date.
What can I do now?

BTW thanks for the help so far.

NJa90

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Tried that already: Step 6 in that little guide I mean. I had disabled my Intel 82945G Chipset right from the start... Is there a way to make my BIOS understand I have a PCI-Express slot?

***EDIT***
By "I had disabled my Intel 82945G Chipset right from the start" I mean that I uninstalled the drivers for my Intel 82945G chip, and disabled it in the list of Display Adapters.

sharnthor

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Jup, that's what I was referring to previously. Unfortunately I don't know what your BIOS looks like, so it makes it VERY difficult.

What I would suggest is try the same steps as on the website. Disable your onboard card and then change the Primary Video Adapter to PCI. If that still fails, then I should most likely also believe that your card is faulty.

It would really be helpful if you can plug it into someone else's PC and check it first.

*** Check and ensure you disaple the Onboard TV-Out function

Also, under the security menu make sure that the PCI Express x16 slot 1 is enabled
and then
Under advanced menu -> device options - ensure that integrated graphics is disabled. Then set the primary video to PCIe

Here's also some good points, seems more people have problems with these pc's...
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110205200249AAUKrQy

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
You have done all the steps indicated as said. If you note the board is not the most modern. Looking at it there is an extra 4 pin 12v connector located on the board.
Now I am wondering if this is the problem, meaning it is simply not plugged in.
Why do I say this because belive it or not that 4 pin block is there to provide extra power to the Pci-e slot from the motherboard to drive a Pci-e graphics card as much as provide a bit of extra power for the cpu.

If it is not connected as I suspect it was not as it would not be needed since it was using the on board intel graphics solution then it may be the problem.
As said though you need to check the power draw of the card in watts and how many amps it will need from a 12v power rail of the Psu to run. so the case may be the system simply does not run with the card in because the Psu cannot cope with the extra demand put on it with the 7600 Gt card in the system. But do take a look to see if that 4 pin is connected where I mentioned if its not make sure its connected to the board via the psu and it should work after that. If not you looking at a new PSU, or borrowing one with more wattage and amps on the 12v rails as a test to see if its the problem. Once you have ruled out its not a power problem, the suspect is more likely to be the graphics card its self.

NJa90

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
To Cromat88: I have come to accept that as one of the answers as to why it won't work. And it sucks, cuz I won't be able to play my game to its full extent, and I also wasted another $25 (on top of the cost of the game) on a useless graphics card...

To weaselman: I tried the graphics card in both scenarios:
1) Card connected thru the 4pin power to my computer (cable was just hanging inside the case when I opened it).
2) Card disconnected from the 4pin cable, which is supposed to be as the instruction manual that came with it mentions nothing about plugging it in.
But still NOTHING! No display on my monitor. I did these two in all possible combinations, that is: Monitor connected to card(both ports available) or to motherboard, BIOS with Primary Video Adapter selected either PCI or Onboard, and many other I cannot think of right now. I'm very persistent, so I kinda tried whatever combination came to mind.

To SharnThor: My BIOS was programmed by Phoenix Technologies, version 5.23, and up to date according to the HP website (as I've tried to find an update for it). It still does not display the option to select PCI-E in the Primary Video Adapter. The following link shows a bios that is very similar to what I see, from the HP website:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02028457
If you scroll to Figure 2: Advanced menu screen, it shows exactly what I can see (minus the specific computer specs). As the little "Note" says, not all settings on the table shown below are available for all computers... Which sucks for me, again, as I don't see PCI-E option in my own BIOS.

Also, under the security menu make sure that the PCI Express x16 slot 1 is enabled
and then
Under advanced menu -> device options - ensure that integrated graphics is disabled. Then set the primary video to PCIe
I do not understand the "security menu" you're referring to, but if it is from the BIOS - it doesn't exist.

I looked at your link, and it does provide a possible solution to my problem (saying that I won't be able to use my PCI-E port):
From Max Hochman: "Final answer: Not all motherboards support the new PCI-E 2.1 connection without a bios update."
But if this is the case, a possible solution could be to flash my BIOS and update it????? I've been trying to research this, but it gets into more complex stuff that I don't understand as of now.

--------------------------------------------------------

I did some other research and found a similar issue at the following link:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/Video-card-upgrade-Cannot-find-PCI-Express-option-in-BIOS/td-p/243065
The solution offered in this case is that maybe the graphics card requires a PCI-E x16 2.1 slot, and I may have only a PCI-E x16 2.0. In this case, I really have NO CLUE how to tell which PCI-E x16 version I have on my motherboard, but again goes back to the issue of flashing the BIOS
--------------------------------------------------------

To summarize:
As it stands right now, I have a few possible solutions to this issue, and a bunch of unresolved questions:

1) My PSU is too weak for the required power to this graphics card, and it won't work because of this.
-I did, however, find that some users were able to run similar cards with a weak PSU, and still get it working. So what could be the issue here?

2) My card is faulty. I did not see the fan on the card turning once the power was connected and the computer was on. So it could be the damn card that is broken. I would like to try it in another computer, but I don't know anybody that would lend me theirs to try.
-Any suggestions in this area?

3) The last possibility is that my BIOS is actually outdated and it won't read my card since (I'm not sure of this) my card requires a PCI-E x16 2.1, and the BIOS is only programmed for PCI-E x16 2.0. In this case, there exists the possibility of flashing my BIOS (clearing it and reinstalling the BIOS software), but from what I can read this is a VERY difficult process that could potentially render my pc useless if done without care and advanced knowledge.
-You can tell this is where I don't know what I'm doing, as I don't even understand if the PCI-E 2.0 or 2.1 is the software or hardware itself.
-Also, any comments on what flashing the BIOS would do? would it help me in this case? and how to go about that?

4) A way to bypass the need for a graphics card (and to actually use the integrated one) was to find a software that would let me use the game (The Sims 3) without Pixel Shader 2.0 or DirectX9.0. I am using SwiftShader, but it displays their logo right on my screen and I can't get rid of it while playing the game. It also makes my computer very slow. VERY.
-Does anybody know of a good program that will let me skip the need for Pixel Shader? or any other way to play these games without a graphics card? I'll definitely save up $$$ for a better computer, starting next week.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way so far.

A worthy note: I have learned more about computers in the past two days than in the last 5-10 years of my life, just by doing research and getting input of people like you. Thanks.

4745454b

Titan
Isn't computing fun?

To me this is like a puzzle. Many people like puzzles. My suggestion is to find local people who are willing to help. Craigslist? See if you can borrow a PSU of enough power to remove that as a worry. Or someone with a PCIe slot who can test your card. Your card shouldn't require a 2.1. The 7600GT is PCIe 1.0. I don't think Nvidia swtiched to 2.0 until the 8 or 9 series. And they have yet to release a .1 card. That's ATI/AMD.

Good luck. Hope you can find the answer. (and of course share so we all know.)

sharnthor

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Well, power works fairly simple... Add all the power up of the items inside your computer and it should not exceed(this is at maximum power consumption of the items), the maximum of the PSU that you have.

Go here and this calculator will help you to calculate...
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I also do not believe that it's got anything to do with your PCI-E being 2.0 or 2.1, that shouldn't be the problem at all.

Most likely, from you saying that the fan doesn't even come on, I'd bet that the card is definitely bust. Just try and return it and buy another one.

As with other software, you're waisting your time. Pretty much all SOFTWARE will slow your pc doen. Remember, the hardware is designed to improve the performance and speed of you pc. So, once you go back to SOFTWARE, you PC's memory, HDD usage, CPU etc. has to work harder, because there's no specifc graphics card to handle the extra load.

Good luck!!

billejones

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
I have the same issue. I have a hp p7-1446s and install another video card in the computer. I rebooted and saw nothing on the display. I put a newer video card and same thing.

I see nothing on the screen during the bios startup or windows startup. Once windows loads the mouse drivers I see the arrow for the mouse but the background was blank. I can move the mouse and I noticed that top left side of the screen behaved as if there was a second monitor. I clicked the mouse button and entered my password even though the screen was blank. It logged me in and it was still blank. I was able to get into the display setup and noticed that windows was reporting a generic monitor for the first monitor and my dell monitor as the second. I have only one monitor. I swapped them and made my dell monitor the primary desktop and I now see my desktop and start screen.

But when I reboot I still don't see the bios startup or windows startup. Windows still thinks there is two display hooked up. Even if I delete the device in device manager the Generic Monitor will reappear.

Do you have the same situation? Do you see the mouse after it boots for a while?

Does any body know a fix so I can see Bios startup and windows startup?