[SOLVED] Got a new modular PSU, forgot to swap SATA power cables - HDD dead. now i need to remove the pcb?

Nov 24, 2022
now I'm looking for help with the next step, I've seen on another post that a fuze was broken, and after the fuze was connected the drive worked. my drive is a WD hard drive WD20EZAZ and I haven't taken it apart yet, I've looked at the PCB online and don't know if there is any fuze.
thanks for any help:)

Last edited by a moderator:
1st step, which exact HDD model is it?
removing the TVS Diodes on the faulty HDD can be a solution

if really swapping PCB is needed:
nowadays is not the only step juts replacing the PCB , the firmware chip, not only the firmware, the chip itself has to be soldered from the old to the new PCB

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022
well, now I've looked into it more, and I don't think any of my TVS diodes are shorted... so that's weird. kinda scary because if none of them shorted, then the power must've gone straight into the pcb. but I am getting readings off them, for example, I get no reading one way, (1 .) and the opposite direction, I get about (120ohms). would this tell me anything?

Nov 24, 2022
thank you fzabkar for all your posts in litteraly every forum about hard drive pcbs. due to my tvs diods not being shorted. im guessing another part of my pcb has clocked out. ive seen in another post you say wd over volt protection is a joke. big sad for me. because i think it has failed me. going to take the tvs off and see if it works anyway.

Nov 24, 2022
now that they are off the board, both of those diodes give me no reading in ohms... making me think eather they were actually fuzes that are blown, or i riped off something that wasnt a tvs diode?

USAFRet

Titan
Your a life saver!!!!!! getting 1.3 ohms from my 12 volt fuse and no reading from my 5 volt fuse! So I will put some thing there to bridge it and can I just run the pcb without eather of the TBS diodes to transfer the data.
Assuming this works and you can actually copy the data off, take this as a heads up to...

1. Never mismatch PSU cables.
  2. Always have a good back, just in case a "fix" like this does NOT work.

Nov 24, 2022
Assuming this works and you can actually copy the data off, take this as a heads up to...

1. Never mismatch PSU cables.
  2. Always have a good back, just in case a "fix" like this does NOT work.
Lessons have been learned! Going to take my data storage much more seriously now, and try to spread the word that psu cables are not standardized.

Nov 24, 2022
finally, I'm proud to say the ambiguity of this situation has been lifted:) thanks
fzabkar and his extremely helpful pictures of fuse and diode placement, my tvs diodes were fine but my 5-volt fuse was blown. purchased a soldering kit and put a bead across where I removed the fuse and my hhd is now working. going to back everything up and clone it onto a different hard drive. saved me about 200 bucks in data recovery fees:)