Question Got lower FPS with a 5800x/1070 combo compared to previous 6700k/1070 combo

Stocky1984

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
So I just got the new 5800x, I have a 3080 in pre order so in the mean time I still use my old 1070. However for some reason I get much lower FPS in games like PUBG (1080p) than before with my old 6700k cpu. I used to have 120-140fps and now with the 5800x it's more like 50-70. It feels like 60hz on my 144hz screen. Below are a few things I tried and didn't solve the issue:

Fresh windows install with all up to date (graphic) drivers and bios
Tried switching from PCI-E 4.0 to 3.0
Monitor is set to 144hz in Windows and nvidia settings
Graphic settings should be optimal, both in pubg and nvidia profile
Memory should be configured correctly, enabled DOCP profile in bios. Memory is G Skill 32GB 3600mhz (F4-3600C16D-32GTZN)
Did a userbenchmark and the scores are all normal.
Temperatures and use are normal during gaming

Motherboard: Asus x570 E-gaming
PSU: Corsair RM850x

Any suggestions? It's surprising to me that my old 6700K gave much better fps with the same gpu, maybe it's just some silly setting somewhere. Or the 1070 is seriously bottlenecking the 5800x? Thanks.

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if your GPU was "bottlenecking" the CPU, that would not make the FPS drop about 50%. you would still get the same FPS as before.
Only way you get worse FPS is if the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU by being worse than previous CPU which it is most definitely not.

Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers installed for the CPU.

It's possible that PUBG (being the crappy mess that it is) just doesn't like all those cores, and you might have to limit the cores for that game to get better performance.

PUBG is not a good benchmark at all to compare CPUs and GPUs.
Do you have any and I mean ANY other games you know the performance of prior on the 6700K that you can test out on the new CPU?
Anything that has better developement, optimization and support than PUBG.
And RPG perhaps? Assassin's Creed? Skyrim? Control? Metro game? Crysis 3? etc. etc.
Heavy hitter AAA games.

A better FPS game? Any modernish COD game? (BO4, MW/Warzone, Cold War)
CSGO? Overwatch?

Stocky1984

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I know pubg is no AAA game but it's just one of those shooter games I still like to play after so many years. All those other games you mentioned don't interest me at all. My primary "game" is race simulators in which I use tripple screens for better immersion. This demands a lot of CPU and GPU power of course to render it on 3 screens simultaneously.

The problem is not a big issue because this is just a temporary thing until the 3080 arrives, but who knows how long this delivery will take longer. I tried running pubg on only 4 cores but this didnt solve the issue. I'm sure everything would run smooth if I can swap the 1070 for the upcoming 3080 soon.