Question Got new Cat6 Ethernet Cable and speed wont go over 60 but i pay for gigabit

Apr 5, 2019
So my pc is upstairs and my service provider is Rogers. I just bought a 100ft cat 6 ethernet cable to connect it from my router to my pc directly. I pay for 1000 down but im only getting a max of 60. When i use my powerline adapter i get 50. I'm not really sure why the speed is so low because when my pc was downstairs i used to get much much faster speeds. Could it be the length? Is the wire defective?

Apr 5, 2019
Make sure you have the correct and latest Ethernet driver for you computer/motherboard installed. Also be sure your computer actually has a gigbit Ethernet adapter.

Can you test the cable on another computer?
The latest drivers are installed on my computer and motherboard. I believe my computer can handle gigabit because in the ethernet port properties in the speed section I can change to 1gb full duplex if that's correct. Regardless of the gigabit adapter I can atleast go to 200.

If you are using a router, try a direct connect to the modem and run a speed test.

Also if you are using a laptop be sure that the wifi isn't connected or turned off, I've seen where the wifi takes priority over the Ethernet.

Finally what cable did you purchase and from where? You could have been given the wrong/defective cable or if it was from one of those direct form China wholesales a intentionally mislabeled cable.

Apr 5, 2019
If you are using a router, try a direct connect to the modem and run a speed test.

Also if you are using a laptop be sure that the wifi isn't connected or turned off, I've seen where the wifi takes priority over the Ethernet.

Finally what cable did you purchase and from where? You could have been given the wrong/defective cable or if it was from one of those direct form China wholesales a intentionally mislabeled cable.
The modem and router are one. So it's direct from that. Also I did test and 2 different computers but the result was the same. The cable was purchased off Amazon with alot of good reviews. This is the link:Cat 6 Ethernet Cable 100ft White (at a Cat5e Price but Higher Bandwidth) Flat Internet Network Cables - Cat6 Ethernet Patch Cable - Cat6 Computer LAN Cable with Snagless RJ45 Connectors https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B017P34W6C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_I29PCbKVV10EE

That is one of those fake cables. No matter what they say the cable can not actually be TIA/EIA 568-C.2 certified. They use non meaning words but do not use the word certified.

It can never be a certified cable. That exact standard clearly says the wire must be pure copper (at least you did not get cca) and the wire size MUST be 22-24. At least they did not outright lie on the size of the wire. It is 32awg which immediately disqualifies the cable.

Take them up on their refund and ask them why they sell fake cable. It takes 2 seconds to find what the tia/eia cert actually says.

Thin wire has issues going distance it might work at short distance but not at the 100 meter limit ethernet is required. That is how they get away with this scam because it works for a lot of people. The other issue is the ends tend to work loose on these cable and there is no way to recrimp them yourself. The ends are almost impossible to find because again they are not certified.

Just buy a normal round cat5e cable with the correct wire size and copper wire. They are telling lies when they say cat5e can only run 100mbit. Again it takes no time at all to find the standards that clearly say cat5e MUST pass traffic at gigabit speeds. Cat6 cable has no extra value over cat5e. If you want 10gbit you run cat6a....there is even fake cat6a.

Amazon is loaded with fake cables. It is actually really hard to find good cables with all the trash. At least amazon cracked down on the guys selling CCA cable and trying to pass it off as pure copper.

Last edited:
You are paying for 1000 Mb/s down, and are getting 60 Mb/s down?

How are you measuring this? Where is that 60 Mb/s down being sourced from?

Start with a test of the local network equipment. Even if you are provided 1000 Mb/s down to your dwelling, if your local network or device can't sustain that, it's going to be unusable.

Since it's been brought up that the cable is non-spec, test before and after you replace it. It may have nothing to do with the problem. I agree that going beyond Cat-5e isn't going to do you a whole lot of good, especially if you buy a cut-rate cable anyway.

Use a utility like iperf3 to send data between two local machines and see what your throughput actually is. This will be the best theoretical throughput available to you over your local network between these two machines. Of course, if one or both computers is a potato, you might get poor results.

Apr 5, 2019
That is one of those fake cables. No matter what they say the cable can not actually be TIA/EIA 568-C.2 certified. They use non meaning words but do not use the word certified.

It can never be a certified cable. That exact standard clearly says the wire must be pure copper (at least you did not get cca) and the wire size MUST be 22-24. At least they did not outright lie on the size of the wire. It is 32awg which immediately disqualifies the cable.

Take them up on their refund and ask them why they sell fake cable. It takes 2 seconds to find what the tia/eia cert actually says.

Thin wire has issues going distance it might work at short distance but not at the 100 meter limit ethernet is required. That is how they get away with this scam because it works for a lot of people. The other issue is the ends tend to work loose on these cable and there is no way to recrimp them yourself. The ends are almost impossible to find because again they are not certified.

Just buy a normal round cat5e cable with the correct wire size and copper wire. They are telling lies when they say cat5e can only run 100mbit. Again it takes no time at all to find the standards that clearly say cat5e MUST pass traffic at gigabit speeds. Cat6 cable has no extra value over cat5e. If you want 10gbit you run cat6a....there is even fake cat6a.

Amazon is loaded with fake cables. It is actually really hard to find good cables with all the trash. At least amazon cracked down on the guys selling CCA cable and trying to pass it off as pure copper.
Thank you very much for helping me figure out I got the wrong cable lmao. I ordered this cable incase the one I just got didn't work. https://www.shopperplus.com/p-33131...4awg-ethernet-network-cable-white-primecables. I believe it is standard but if you could let me know if that's good it would be great.

I am getting link not found but it might be my browser since I run a lot of ad and script blockers.

In the description it says 24awg which is good. See if you can find if it says something like solid copper. The key words to watch out for is CCA. That is copper clad aluminum and does not work well and is not certified.

Apr 5, 2019
I am getting link not found but it might be my browser since I run a lot of ad and script blockers.

In the description it says 24awg which is good. See if you can find if it says something like solid copper. The key words to watch out for is CCA. That is copper clad aluminum and does not work well and is not certified.

It says it's 24 awg, type cm, EIA/tia tsb-40a ETL verified, connector plating is contact gold plating 50u (short body), certification RoHS complaint

I dug around and think I found it you will see they say they use pure copper wire so that means the cable likely is good.

It is so hard to find find reputable vendors so if you find one stick with them. There have been vendors amazon that outright state they test every cable to verify it passes the standards and then they use CCA cable. If you hook this type of cable to a fluke test meter it will quickly fail the tests even on fairly short cables.

This used to be so easy and your biggest issue was what color cable you purchased not would the cable actually function.

Apr 5, 2019
I dug around and think I found it you will see they say they use pure copper wire so that means the cable likely is good.

It is so hard to find find reputable vendors so if you find one stick with them. There have been vendors amazon that outright state they test every cable to verify it passes the standards and then they use CCA cable. If you hook this type of cable to a fluke test meter it will quickly fail the tests even on fairly short cables.

This used to be so easy and your biggest issue was what color cable you purchased not would the cable actually function.
Thank you so much. Just to confirm it seems like the cable would work. Of course I'll have to test it. I'll reply back after I get it which should be Monday or Tuesday. Thanks so much for the help