got the BSOD when I try to startup my computer

Warden_PC

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Hi, it’s me who built this computer about five years ago.

However at the moment I can’t get my computer to startup because when I try to start window normally I get the BSOD. So then I launch startup repair from windows error recovery and get System recovery options in safe mode. I tried startup repair and that did not fix the problem. System restore is not an option because I did not make a restore point. System image recovery is also not an option because I did not create a system image backup. I tried windows memory diagnostic and no problems were detected this way. And I don’t know how command prompt can help me.

I would appreciate help to fix my problem.

Warden_PC

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
This is what the message I’m getting from my BSOD.
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shading. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advance Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x0000000000000003,0xFFFFFA8005A92B10,0xFFFFFA8005A92DF0,0xFFFFF80003593750)

Collecting data for crash dump ...
Initializing disk for crash dump ...
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.

I did not change any hardware in my computer.

Warden_PC

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I started with typing in CHKDSK into command prompt and the summary of the result said “windows has checked the file system and found no problems.” I then tried the sfc /scannow command and got this massage.
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and sfc again.
I restarted my computer, typed in sfc /scannow in the command prompt again, and got the same result.

I made a description error in my first post. I typed that I got “System recovery options in safe mode” when in fact I only got this. When I try to start safe mode I get the same BSOD error. So I can’t change any drivers or try to run any software to try and fix my problem.

The system called a bugcheck because some required windows process stopped.
Windows processes will stop if they detect that their data structures have been modified outside of its control.
This often happens with malware and virus infections that target certain windows data structures.
(new versions of windows look for the modifications and call the bugcheck to shutdown the system)

you can also get this kind of randomly by bad BIOS memory timings and overclocking software and defects in RAM. Generally in these cases you will see a 0xc0000005 error code in the bugcheck data.

I would just run a Malwarebytes scan, then start cmd.exe as an admin
and if you have windows 8.x or above run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
if you have any overclocking software running, disable it. if the overclock violates the setup and hold time for the electronics the bit patterns will not be stable when the data is written. This can cause memory corruption that windows can detect if it is in one of its critical data structures. Windows will assume it is malware causing the changes and will call a bugcheck.

I would also run memtest on its own boot disk

Warden_PC

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I can’t startup my computer in normal mode or safe mode so I can’t run Malwarebytes. And I don’t think there is a boot drive version of Malwarebytes. So I tried using AVG Rescue CD to remove any viruses and no infections were found. I also ran memtest86+ and no errors were reported.
I did not overclock my computer.
And I have windows 7.

Warden_PC

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I have a MSI mainboard which comes with clickbios that has a memory test. So I started this memory test and no errors were found.
I later tried using SeaTools to diagnose my harddrive. I started running a Short Test and an error was detected. I then started a Long Test and the scan results said

Unfortunately, your Seagate hard drive has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. Now is a good time to make sure you have a current backup of your important data.

Seagate recommends that you consider repairing the problem sectors. SeaTools for DOS may be able to save you from the inconvenience and down time of exchanging the drive. For more information on this subject see our help topic ‘Bad Sector Found’.
I closed this message and then this popped up.
Error(s) Detected on NON Seagate Drive. It is suggested that you contact the maker of your disc drive for more information.
I have a Samsung harddrive and I can’t find hard drive diagnostic software in boot drive form anywhere on the Samsung support site. Can anyone help me find it? Also how do you backup your files without being able to startup?

Latest posts