Gotta love competition..

G

Intel's latest, fastest and most expensive desktop cpu can be bought today for...a mere $387 ! When was the last time (if ever) we saw this ?

this will not do much good to intel's ASPs, usually intel's top end cpu is above $600, and the number two in the mid $400 range. The current 3.2C is priced as if Prescott is already out and available in one or two faster speedgrades. Gotta love competition :D

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

G

Oh, and you can't even spend a lot more on dual CPU Xeon's either.. the fastest 3 GHz one costs only $475 ! The popular 2.4 GHz /400 Xeon is almost priced as a Celeron with a $205 price tag. Xeon MP's is a different story of course

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I'm assuming your talking about AMD as the competition. Yeah, competition is a great thing. Though the new 3.2 P4EE is going to cost upwards to 900 dollars i hear.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here.

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Just a small note. That CPU (P4EE) is not meant to be sold. It's just there to offer competition to AMD's flagship processor. Anyone buyine a $900 is simply stupid .. the end!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Though the new 3.2 P4EE is going to cost upwards to 900 dollars i hear.
Common sense would have to be disabled to believe that though. You couldn't honestly expect the P4EE to cost $500 <i>more</i> than an equal GHz standard P4. The added L3 cache isn't <i>that</i> good. **ROFL**

<pre><b><font color=red>I've always wondered why people liken the taste of blood to copper.
It tastes much more like iron to me.
<- :evil: - :evil: - :evil: - :evil: - :evil: -></font color=red></b></pre><p>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Common sense would have to be disabled to believe that though. You couldn't honestly expect the P4EE to cost $500 more than an equal GHz standard P4. The added L3 cache isn't that good. **ROFL**
A product is not always priced according to its performance. Only time will show of course but I strongly believe that all rumours about the P4EE's pricing will turn out to be true.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
A product is not always priced according to its performance. Only time will show of course but I strongly believe that all rumours about the P4EE's pricing will turn out to be true.
**ROFL** You could build a dualie Xeon box for that kind of a price.

Well, to each their own I guess. If you want to believe $900 for a 3.2GHz P4EE then I certainly won't stop you.

<pre><b><font color=red>I've always wondered why people liken the taste of blood to copper.
It tastes much more like iron to me.
<- :evil: - :evil: - :evil: - :evil: - :evil: -></font color=red></b></pre><p>

G

>Well, to each their own I guess. If you want to believe
>$900 for a 3.2GHz P4EE then I certainly won't stop you.

You mean:"If you want to pay $900 for a EE, I certainly won't stop you". Many different sources have quoted this price, so I think its a fair assumption this will indeed be the list price. You think its ridiculous ? Well, it probably is, but then Intel doesnt really care to sell lots of them, the EE's main "raison d'etre" is just to win benchmarks, nothing else.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
From all reports you can :)
whack 2 x P4EE's into your xeon mobo and of you go. Intel SMP for a fraction of the cost.

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

eden

Champion
Um LHG, P4s don't have the same socket.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm yes. your absolutely correct. Silly me.
But hang on... how did that person determine if they were SMP capable still?
wierd. Must looked at some identifying string.

Anyway its alot of money for not very much extra performance.

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>