Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2018
Recently I have been looking for a new tablet and the fire hd 10 seems to be the one for me. I thought that it could also make a killer GPS system with the 10 inch screen. After further inspection though, it doesn't have a GPS chip. Is there a way to use my phone's Bluetooth to tell the tablet where it is because my phone has GPS? If you can't, is there another way to get GPS on it without internet?

Solution
There are lots of GPS tethering apps which will let your Fire tablet get a position fix from your phone (over Bluetooth or WiFi). I actually did that on my Fire 10 HD (2017) for a bit. If I remember, you need to install it on both devices. My Fire has been hacked to add the Google Play store (really easy hack). I dunno what GPS tethering apps are available (if any) in Amazon's store.

It works, but the Fire was a bit temperamental about it. Usually it took 3 or 4 tries restarting the app which needed GPS before it ignored the fact that there was no built-in GPS and began using the tethered GPS. As I was trying to use the tablet as a backup chartplotter aboard a boat, I decided I needed something more reliable, and bought a tablet...
You can add GPS capability to a Windows or Android tablet with a USB-GPS dongle. Several articles & tutorials on the web, here is just one:

Don't forget that Fire tablets are not ordinary Android devices, and do not have Google Play on them. Some of them can be hacked to add Google Play, some can't. And I don't think they have standard USB-A port where you can plug GPS adapter.

I don't think you can trick your phone' GPS to be transmitted to other devices. But may be (may be, don't ask me which one) you can find an app which "mirrors" your phone' screen onto the tablet.

There are lots of GPS tethering apps which will let your Fire tablet get a position fix from your phone (over Bluetooth or WiFi). I actually did that on my Fire 10 HD (2017) for a bit. If I remember, you need to install it on both devices. My Fire has been hacked to add the Google Play store (really easy hack). I dunno what GPS tethering apps are available (if any) in Amazon's store.

It works, but the Fire was a bit temperamental about it. Usually it took 3 or 4 tries restarting the app which needed GPS before it ignored the fact that there was no built-in GPS and began using the tethered GPS. As I was trying to use the tablet as a backup chartplotter aboard a boat, I decided I needed something more reliable, and bought a tablet with a built-in GPS.

Solution
Oct 20, 2018

It works, but the Fire was a bit temperamental about it. Usually it took 3 or 4 tries restarting the app which needed GPS before it ignored the fact that there was no built-in GPS and began using the tethered GPS. As I was trying to use the tablet as a backup chartplotter aboard a boat, I decided I needed something more reliable, and bought a tablet with a built-in GPS.
This is the perfect solution. I knew there were GPS dongles out there but I didn't really want to pay an extra $50 to get one. If the connection is a bit shaky that is fine, and so once I get the tablet (I'm going to hack it for Google Play and a better launcher) I will get one of the apps that does this. Thank you all for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.