Question GPT Protected Partition stopped working

Jon_8_

Honorable
Jan 13, 2016
Hi all,

I've got a strange situation.

I've been running a Roon ROCK on an Intel NUC:

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-optimized-core-kit

I can't browse my (2) 12TB HDs connected to USB3, either to Windows 10 or the custom Linux solution Roon offers on the ROCK. When connected via USB3, the drives will display in the storage folder of the ROCK. That now fails, and they don't show up directly connected to my up to date Windows 10 - v1909 either.

I honestly can't remember formatting these as GPT. I don't understand what's going on at this point and why the drives report only in Disk Management but won't display in Windows Explorer, and what could have happened.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I have a backup, but sadly my Synology DS1515+ has the Atom bug which I fixed - but now the PSU seems to be bad.

I did have an issue last year where the foldering would duplicate to infinity.

thanks for any guidance!

9YhUuRc.png

r119oza.png

Your USB device appears to be configured with a sector size of 4KB. That's why a 2TiB protective GPT partition appears as 16TiB (4096 = 8 x 512).

You need to install the HDD in the same environment (either 512e or 4Kn) where it was partitioned and formatted.

You can see what is happening with DMDE:

https://dmde.com/

DMDE's Partitions window should identify your 4K sectored file systems.

Last edited:

Jon_8_

Honorable
Jan 13, 2016
I formatted them at 4K on Windows 10 in the enclosures, then connected them to the Linux box for 2 years.

Any ideas what could have changed? No data is available in either Linux or Win10 OS...and one drive reports unallocated space.

Jon_8_

Honorable
Jan 13, 2016
I formatted these as NTFS. I have to assume the Linux based Roon software applied the GPT.

I don't understand why my Windows 10 laptop can't convert to MBR.

More evidence the Linux based Roon ROCK converted these? I can't do jack <Mod Edit> in Windows.

"Step 4
Right-click on each partition and volume displayed on the GPT hard drive you want to format and click "Delete Volume." Confirm that only "Unallocated" is displayed on the GPT hard drive.
Step 5
Right-click on the hard drive and click "Convert to MBR Disk."

I'll try DISKPART cmd now....

Last edited by a moderator: