Question GPU 100% usage with Desktop Windows Manager (dwm.exe)

Raeks

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Desktop Windows Manager hits 100% GPU then all of a sudden my computer starts freezing up to the point where it no longer responds and I will have to forcibly shut it down. I have a 3070 and my CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600.

I have tried fresh install of latest drivers, and turning off scaling for apps in display settings.

I might note that this issue only started to happen when I swapped monitors from 1080 to 1440, not sure if coincidence or if that has something to do with it

propflux01

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
It could be, PSU is barely a year old but who knows it could of been faulty to begin with anyway
What brand and wattage? I'm just saying PSU because it sounds like since your card has to work just a bit harder on that 1440, that it was just enough to push the power limit over the edge and start giving you issues.

maxtechniche

Reputable
May 10, 2018
www.youtube.com
Desktop Windows Manager hits 100% GPU then all of a sudden my computer starts freezing up to the point where it no longer responds and I will have to forcibly shut it down. I have a 3070 and my CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600.

I have tried fresh install of latest drivers, and turning off scaling for apps in display settings.

I might note that this issue only started to happen when I swapped monitors from 1080 to 1440, not sure if coincidence or if that has something to do with it
Try reseating the GPU. This happened to my mom's computer and I looked up what was crashing and it was dwm.exe