Question GPU acting weird.

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Hi, I just built a computer had a few issues where things were not working but finally got everything up and running, I believe the VGA light on my motherboard stays up but I havent checked since I just woke up. Anyways, my graphics card is sitting on my motherboard so strangely and not only that but it's pretty low to the bottom, where the power block is, I wanted to double see if the fans were running and I put my hand underneath to feel them and they were spinning, then after a few seconds they would stop. I dont know if it's because the computer went idle since I only made it to the bios screen, or because I touched the card OR because I was messing with the power ports on the card.

Also not only that but this 1080 ti I have has little PCEI or however it's called on the top of the card and the long classic chipset for locking it in on the bottom. I'm using the long one. Also its strange because the graphics card is only locked in place about 50% of the length of the card, the other half is kind of just hanging there.

I won't be able to even install windows as I left my USB at my parents house about 2 hours away and I'll be getting it here in a bit, but I can still tamper with the system and work on doing some finishing touches, will post pictures soon.

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
So I just built my PC, it started up for the first time and the debug LEDs were going on one by one, when doing this the system would start, stop, start, stop is this normal? It made it to VGA and stays lit up, I'm "assuming" this is on, because my graphics card wasnt plugged in at the time. But now the entire system just stays on and I can get to a boot window now, cant boot it till I grab my USB from my parents, I forgot to grab it from their home computer.

Edit: Wondering if this was because the system was double checking itself because I was trying to find put why my computer wasnt powering up, I removed the motherboard battery and in that time was trying to unplug and replug my 8 pin power piece into my CPU slot, because it didnt seem to be sitting right inside the slot, it looked good visually plugged in wise, but the tops of them were shifted and didnt seem locked, I knew it was just plastic but I thought to myself, if they were colliding on top, one could be shifting the other one to a point where the power cable wasnt plugged in, the spot was so tight I had to use 2, 4 pin connectors fyi.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What are the complete specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)? Members will need this information to know what we are working with.

Seems you have started a total of three threads (one deleted and two merged here) on this topic. Please don't start another. Stick to this thread.

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
First, your 500w PSU is underpowered for the GPUs recommended wattage (600w):

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-ARMOR-11G-OC/Specification

Just reading above, are you certain you have your motherboard (8-pin) and (24-pin) power connections firmly locked into the connectors?

Same question for the PCIe power connections going from the PSU to the GPU.

I can confirm that both the 8 pin CPU and 24 pin are connected. The PC wasnt tuturng at first due to improperly plugging in the 8 pin.