Gpu and 6pin connector

MareVr

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
Hi
I have gtx 550 ti gpu with 6 pin connector connected to my psu. But I wanted to install another gpu which is gt 730 but that card doesnt have 6 pin connector. When I install gt 730 to motherboard and turn on pc i hear beeping sound and black screen. I left my 6 pin cable from psu dissconected so I think problem is in that cable. But I am pretty stupid about this things and I dont know what to do? Should I open psu and disconnect that cable or what?
Please help, thanks

Solution
Why do you even want to replace a 550 ti with a GT 730? The 550 ti is the more powerful card.

To answer your question you should not have to do anything, the GT 730 gets all of it's power from the PCIE slot. That 6pin cable does not have to be connected. I would try clearing the CMOS, the process should be outlined in your motherboards manual. If you cant be bothered to open the manual, remove the battery on the motherboard with the pc unplugged from power leave the battery out for at least five minutes, then put it back in an try to power on again.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Why do you even want to replace a 550 ti with a GT 730? The 550 ti is the more powerful card.

To answer your question you should not have to do anything, the GT 730 gets all of it's power from the PCIE slot. That 6pin cable does not have to be connected. I would try clearing the CMOS, the process should be outlined in your motherboards manual. If you cant be bothered to open the manual, remove the battery on the motherboard with the pc unplugged from power leave the battery out for at least five minutes, then put it back in an try to power on again.

Solution

MareVr

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
Of course that 550 ti is stronger but I have big problems with overheating. I cahnged thermal paste, cleaned gpu and heatsink and fan. Change settings in msi but on 70% fan speeding it still reaching 80-90c. Gt 730 with 45-50% fan speeding reaching only 50-60c max. I am worried about gtx 550 so I have to use gt 730 untill I see whats wrong with gtx 550. By the way, thanks for helping me I cleaned ram and cleared cmos and it works. You are the best.

MareVr

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015

Yes its clear. But after 20 mins of playing pes 18 on 60 fps fan speed was going around 90%-95% (by default) and gpu temp was going from 85c to 95c. So fan was extremly loud and temp was scary for me. I never had this problems on gt 730
temp never was higher then 65-70, and that gpu was so silent (impossible to hear it).