GPU and APU options

Fury__

Reputable
Apr 9, 2017
Currently have an AMD A10 7800 and an RX480. My FPS isn't great, at all. I don't know if it is purely a cpu bottleneck, but i have a few choices on BIOS Nort Bridge Configuration:
IOMMU
Primary Graphics Adapter (onboard or PCI Express)
Onboard Graphics (Auto, enabled, disabled)
Share memory
DVI Funcion (as HDMI) can you tell me the best option for all of these? and is there anything else i should change to get the best FPS, because it is sometimes unplayable, on simple games. I am upgrading my CPU ASAP.

Solution
Just in case, make sure that you are actually plugged into the I/O of the gpu and not the motherboard.

Your CPU is definitely a bottleneck. A 2nd gen i5 is enough to completely beat out your cpu in single and multi-threaded applications.

Also make sure you have adequate cooling for the gpu. If it does too hot, your gpu will thermal throttle, under-clocking itself to reduce its heat output, in an attempt to prevent permanent damage. At the same time, you should also monitor the CPU usage, GPU usage, thermals, and FPS during game play.

srimasis

Distinguished
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Fury__ : "GPU and APU options"

Your GPU is clearly being bottlenecked by your CPU. Time to upgrade mate.
However still you should get playable FPS atleast on simple games like you mentioned. Did you uninstalled previous GPU drivers before installing your new GPU? Is the integrated GPU disabled in the bios? I am feeling that games are using the integrated GPU instead of Rx480.
Set the primary Graphics Adapter to PCI Express and disable Onboard Graphics, this should solve the problems.

LowlySkeleton

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
Just in case, make sure that you are actually plugged into the I/O of the gpu and not the motherboard.

Your CPU is definitely a bottleneck. A 2nd gen i5 is enough to completely beat out your cpu in single and multi-threaded applications.

Also make sure you have adequate cooling for the gpu. If it does too hot, your gpu will thermal throttle, under-clocking itself to reduce its heat output, in an attempt to prevent permanent damage. At the same time, you should also monitor the CPU usage, GPU usage, thermals, and FPS during game play.

Solution